cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nathan_Hamilto1
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi all,

I’m running into a perplexing Airtable approach that I’m needing some help on.

Here’s what I’m trying to accomplish.

So, if this makes sense, in essence I’m creating a new record in one base that creates a linked record in a second base, and those records’ due dates and statuses need to sync for each related record, with the source of truth for those fields being what’s in the second base.

The below may provide more detail.

1.) When a record is created in the “submit for editorial production” in Airtable Base 1, that creates a record in Airtable Base 2 in the “Editorial assignments” view. I’m currently using Zapier for this need and plan to continue doing so. Airtable Sync doesn’t appear to be an option since Airtable Base 2 receives records from several different and unrelated bases, and using Syncs for all of these isn’t an option right now. For the score of guidance today, I’d like to continue with the Zapier approach.

2.) When the Status (dropdown column) for a record in Airtable Base 2 is updated, that status would also be updated for the related record in Airtable Base 1. I currently use Zapier for this as well and these records are tied together with a lookup value. The problem is Zapier is limited in its capabilities that I know of. So, ANY and all updates to an Airtable record triggers the step to update the status, even if the status has not changed. The end result is tasks running constantly for thousands of records, and my corp account is limited to a certain number of tasks monthly.

So, I’m trying to figure out if there is a way to use an Airtable automation to solve for this.

What I just tried is syncing Airtable Base 2’s “Editorial Assignments” view to Airtable Base 1 (new table named “Editorial Assignments Sync” and setting up an automation to 1.) Look for records in the Editorial Assignments Sync table that have an updated due date or status (the only two fields I want to trigger an automation. 2.) If either are updated, find the related record in Airtable Base 1 view "submit for editorial production 3.) Then update that records due date or status in that Airtable Base 1 view “submit for editorial production”.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance for the help!

3 Replies 3

You can create a “Last Modified Time” type field in your Airtable table that only updates its time when certain fields get changed. You can use this field to trigger your Zapier automation.

Ah, that would solve it pretty easily.

How would I go about doing that?

Nevermind. I found out how easily when just trying. All set. Thx for the help.