739 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scott_Schmidt
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi - There is data in one of my tables that I cannot edit because apparently I need to "Upgrade to Enterprise to edit synced tables". Can you explain what this means, and how was the data able to be entered in the first place if I've never subscribed to Enterprise (someone else actually setup the table so I don't know how it came into being)?  What are synced tables?

3 Replies 3
Arthur_Tutt
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Hey @Scott_Schmidt can you share some screenshots of your setup and the data and how your sync'd records are setup (where is the data coming from)?  

I took a look at the airtable pricing page and the only syncing feature that requires enterprise level is for 'on-premises integrations' which means "sync data from an external source into an Airtable base. On-premises integrations include Adobe Experience Manager and Jira Server/Data Center."

What are you trying to sync to?

https://airtable.com/pricing#:~:text=Synced%20data%20and%20integrations

Kenneth_Raghuna
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

See this documentation for reference on synced tables:
https://support.airtable.com/docs/getting-started-with-airtable-sync

TLDR:

Airtable allows you to sync in data from other bases, but "two-way sync" (editing the same data from both bases) is only allowed on Enterprise plans. Here's an example:

Base 1 is filled with contractors that you hire from time to time to get a job done.

Base 2 is an active project you are working on.

You can sync a table from Base 1 (your contractors) into Base 2 (your project) so that you can see your contractor information from within Base 2. On any "normal" account, here's what you can do with that:

• Link records across the tables in Base 2
  • Add fields (and edit data in them) to the synced table in Base 2, allowing you to add more information to the records from Base 1 with context that makes sense for your project in Base 2.

What you CANNOT do though, is edit information that was synced in from Base 1. As far as the information sync goes, you can consider all information brought in from Base 1 to be read-only. If you upgrade to an enterprise plan, you will be able to edit this information directly from within Base 2. This means that information can be updated from either Base, and updates are automatically pushed to the other Base (a two-way sync).

@Scott_Schmidt In order to edit records from the source view, you will need to go back to the original record in the source table and edit it there. To make it easier for you to jump back to the source view, you can add a button field to your destination table with the option to "Open Source Record". That will jump you back to the original record.