1634 14
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Abby_Skrabak
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

We have a time tracker, but it just tracks the actual time and adds onto it. We want to track how much time we spend on each task each day and each week. Is there an easy way to do that or do we need to set up a table that is linked up to that.

14 Replies 14

Hi @Abby_Skrabak

We need more context to be able to help you. For example, what is your current setup?

As in membership? I’m at the free version. We are looking at a paid version if it has what we want. Basically we’ve set up tasks we want to work on and have subtasks. But we want to try to see where we’re spending most of our time. So we would like to see on Tuesday I spent 4 hours on invoices, or on this week I spent most of my time Accounting.

I mean how are you tracking that time? Are you inputting the data manually? What is the process?

I’m using the time tracker, but that’s not connected to date, or day of the week.

Can you share screenshots please?

Abby_Skrabak
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

timer
Task
The first one is the extension I’m using. The second is showing the task. I have spent 12 hours on invoices, but not all in one day or in one week. Every time I work on a task, I want to know what day I worked on it.

For that level of detail I reckon you’re probably going to have to create a record per time tracking event I’m afraid

I have actually already done that! The problem is, is that I can’t figure out how to stop the time tracker and have that value be static. All the time records for that one particular task changes each time I start the clock.

Hmm, okay

Just to confirm, you’re creating a record every time you start the time tracker, right? Resulting in something like this?

Screenshot 2022-11-03 at 12.55.13 PM

Yes! I linked it with a timer on a different table, but obviously the all the timers change every time I start the task up again. I just want you on Tuesday I worked on this task from for a half hour, Wednesday I worked on it for an hour. I don’t even care about exactly when I did the task (like 9am-9:30). I just want to know where my time is being spent.
Screenshot 2022-11-03 085227

That’s odd! I did a screen recording of my workflow for this which helps me log the time the task was done and how long I spent on the task if that helps:

Screen Recording 2022-11-04 at 7.56.12 PM

Abby_Skrabak
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

So unless I set something up wrong, what I have been experiencing is all of the duration cells will update to the same duration, only representing the amount of time in total I have worked on invoicing. So if you let them time go until 1 minute, all on the invoicing duration will go to 1 and so on, not dependent on the date.
In my screen shot above all the “Again1” tasks are at 17 minutes even though I worked on them at different times and days.

Hm, I waited the minute like you said and it was fine

Screenshot 2022-11-07 at 4.56.44 PM

You can DM me an invite link to your base and I can take a look at it for you if you’d like

Abby_Skrabak
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Ohh, I think I see, you typed in Invoice. This timed base is linked to another table. So every time I start the timer for a pre made task it creates a record. But since they are all linked it overides the last time.