120 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lcar
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I have a base for supervisors to approve staff requests. I'd like it so supervisors cannot see each others requests or notes. So I have built an interface that is set so they can only see 'Viewers records only,' which is looking at the field: Supervisor, which is a user field. 

So now I need to add my supervisors to the user field but I cannot see how to do that without adding them to the base itself, which I don't want them to have access to. It will let me add them one by one via their email and it says it won't add them to the base, but I need them in the actual dropdown (for automation purposes). 

Is there a way to do this? I'm finding it hard to believe that I can shut down access to the base for privacy (by not adding them as collaborators), OR shut down access to the interface for privacy (by using the 'viewers records only' feature), but not both?!

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Sistema_Aotearo
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

I assume your supervisors are on the interface with editor permissions. I was unable to recreate this scenario.

I can select collaborators as a drop down in the "User" field on my base. These collaborators are interface only with editor permissions. I haven't tried this with any read-only collaborators.

See Solution in Thread

Yeap, just tried it with read-only collaborators for Interface only and I was able to add them to a "User" field too

@lcar Do you have notifications turned on for that "User" field?  With notifications turned on, I get a notification to invite people to the base if I attempt to add them to a "User" field while in the base.  (This notification doesn't show up when adding them to the "User" field via an Interface, weirdly)

See Solution in Thread

3 Replies 3
Sistema_Aotearo
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

I assume your supervisors are on the interface with editor permissions. I was unable to recreate this scenario.

I can select collaborators as a drop down in the "User" field on my base. These collaborators are interface only with editor permissions. I haven't tried this with any read-only collaborators.

Yeap, just tried it with read-only collaborators for Interface only and I was able to add them to a "User" field too

@lcar Do you have notifications turned on for that "User" field?  With notifications turned on, I get a notification to invite people to the base if I attempt to add them to a "User" field while in the base.  (This notification doesn't show up when adding them to the "User" field via an Interface, weirdly)

lcar

I knew I was missing something. That was the problem, thank you!!