Help

What does it mean for a view to be a dependency in Field Manager?

Solved
Jump to Solution
816 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dan_Billin
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I’ve got a Pro account, so I can see the counts and types (field, view, sync) of dependencies in Field Manager, but not the details. What does it mean for a field to have a VIEW dependency? It doesn’t seem that it means that particular field is shown in a view, because when I hide that field in a view, the number of view dependencies doesn’t change. Does it mean that the field appears in a shared link of a view?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mohamed_Swella1
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

Hi @Dan_Billin

The View dependency means that there are views that has FILTERS based on this field. If you delete the filed or change it in any way it might alter said filters and therefore the view.

Hope this helps

See Solution in Thread

4 Replies 4
Mohamed_Swella1
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

Hi @Dan_Billin

The View dependency means that there are views that has FILTERS based on this field. If you delete the filed or change it in any way it might alter said filters and therefore the view.

Hope this helps

Thanks, Mohamed. It hadn’t occurred to me, but views can obviously be dependent on filters by field.
While your answer clearly makes sense, I’m puzzled that when I tested this by finding a view that used a specific field in a filter, and then removing that field from the filter, it didn’t reduce the count of views listed as dependencies for that field. Any thoughts on why that is?

There are several ways that a view can depend on a field.

• included in view filters
  • included in view grouping
  • included in view sorting
  • included in view coloring
  • shown in a view that has other fields hidden

Nice list, @kuovonne! I think that last one is the interesting one that I never considered before.