Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Ability to copy colunm to new tab

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jasmine_Ruth
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

We have two tabs in all of our bases that use the same information and we have these columns set as a “SINGLE SELECT” with a whole list of options. The only way I see to make the columns identical in the two tabs is to manually type out the info and manually select the colors to match. Then, if we update a new option, we have to add it to both.

I would like a way to “Duplicate Field” (column) into another tab so that it will duplicate all dropdown info (but not the data within). It almost looks like you can, I duplicated the column, and then tried to drag the duplicated column into the new tab but it doesn’t allow me to. Seems like a simple function to add.

18 Comments
Leah_Weinberg
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Unrelated, but how do you get those colors? Mine are all really pale.

Jeremy_Oglesby
14 - Jupiter
14 - Jupiter

The extra colors are available to “Pro” tier workspaces (paid tier).

Leah_Weinberg

Thank you. Seems odd you have to pay to the second level to get more colors!

W_Vann_Hall
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

All values. I tried to show that in the GIF, but I’m still trying to learn licecap, and didn’t make my capture window large enough to show the entire configured list.

Something to keep in mind is that this transfer doesn’t only work between tables in the same base, but also works from one base to another. (To double-check, I just successfully transferred 211 single-select options and colors from a base someone sent me for advice to my ‘scratch’ base I use to test individual formulas and processes.)

W_Vann_Hall
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

I can’t take credit for that trick: It’s actually documented in the Airtable help center. (Although it does seem to bury the lede a bit.) I should also note the trick works with any field type, not just single- and multi-selects — and, as I noted in my previous reply, but which is not explicitly stated in the support article, you can transfer the field settings from base to base, and not jst from table to table within a base.

Ptt_Pch
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Learning, how to use Airtable, well, there are so many things to read, swallow, comprehend and put in motion/practice/exercise/experiment (even here, in the community) that I’m always very grateful when someone can point out a tip, even it’s an official one, already documented :winking_face: .
Thanks, for passing the word, in that case :winking_face: !
I’m pretty it will save me quite some time in the futur ! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Jasmine_Ruth
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thanks, this is a good work around.

W_Vann_Hall
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

Well, strictly speaking, it’s not a workaround: It’s the exact functionality you asked for, already nestled in Airtable — and how often does that happen? I’d say it’s cause to celebrate! :winking_face: