Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Ability to lock fields

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rebecca_Flores
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Unless Im missing it, I would like the ability to lock changes to fields in a base and/or records. Would help prevent accidental deletion. I discovered several days later I had done this…

76 Comments
Jasmine_Ruth
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hey @Katherine_Duh I just saw a separate post from you and may be the solution I was looking for but it’s not clear to me. Is this new beta going to do what I requested above? Here’s the link to the other discussion: Limit linked record selection to a view

Jeremy_Chevalli
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

+5 pts from me. We’re storing Google Drive folder IDs and cannot have them accidentally changed or altered in any way, or it breaks the front-end embedded iframes.

Rod_Tagle

Trying to add more weight behind this Feature Request. We are considering managing content for a chatbot in Airtable, where we need to collaborate with writers on our client’s side, we want them to be able to edit some of the tables in the base while just being able to see other tables without the ability to edit. Or to be able to see/edit some fields while others are hidden for them.

Thank you.

Anup_Jogani

This is the most important function left out of Airtable. If this is a complicated rollout, there should at least be a switch feature which toggles “ON”/ “OFF” for deletions on any particular base. This is the bare minmum to prevent an accidental deletion.

Or a choice to have a TWO step deletion process when it is toggled “ON” ( “you are about to edit/delete this field”, continue?)

Then moving forward

Google sheets has a pretty robust permissions and locking features. Certain field simply can be shut off of from editing by other users. This should be pretty self explanatory.

I have am switching my inventory databasing to Airtable (and moving away from google sheets) but I have had to build in a few redundancies, simply to deal with the accidental deletions issues. +10 for this feature!

ksenia_cheinman
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Agree, this is especially key if you want to be able to control the vocabulary of a cell!

adam_klega
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Definetely needed to lock data from erasing them,or at least there must be a notification about erasing something! Otherwise great functions

nisha_elliott

+1 for locking records / permissions by records!!

Andrew_Wingrave
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

+1 This will be a deciding factor as to whether my team uses AirTable or not. Please can we have an update on this :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: ?

Tom_Kerswill
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

For us, it’s definitely the price list use case that FGE_Staff mentions above. If we update our pricing table, we don’t want that to update previous quotes. We’d like to be able to “freeze” a record so it can’t change without a warning.

The idea of versioning maybe fits in with this. Eg. a frozen record would link to a specific version of its linked fields. If they change, that’s fine - but the frozen record stays pointing at a particular version.

Daniel_Farina1

This request has been opened since 2016, it would be nice to have an official update. I hope that Airtable does not get too big too soon and stops innovating. :frowning: