Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Calendar view enhancement requests (reminders, delete prompts, persistent view)

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Dean_Toland
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I would love to see some kind of reminder or alert system for items that are setup to display on Calendar views. One of my bases has a table that is used to keep track of follow-up calls to potential customers. If theyโ€™re called once and we schedule a follow-up, I have a column with a date/time format and a calendar based on that field. Without alerts, users are advised to check their calendar each morning and afternoon for upcoming scheduled follow-ups, but it would be great when adding a date/time to a column that is tied to a calendar if there could also be an option for reminders or alerts. Maybe something like Outlook reminders, 15 minutes before the time and the option to snooze for 5 minutes or dismiss completely.

Additionally, Iโ€™ve noticed that the view of records in the Calendar doesnโ€™t persist when you leave and come back in. For instance, this table has over 1200 records but only some are going to have follow-up times on them. I change the view in the top right corner from โ€œall recordsโ€ to โ€œrecords with datesโ€ but it doesnโ€™t stay that way if I leave and return. Due to the nature of the table and its size, displaying all records will never be useful so Iโ€™d like to avoid having to change it each time.

And finally, something I just noticed and am very concerned about, is the โ€œdeleteโ€ option when viewing an item from the Calendar. I just tested it and it doesnโ€™t just delete/clear the info in the relevant date/time field, it deletes the entire record. Thereโ€™s no prompt to confirm anything, so a simple misclick could completely remove a record from the table and this is a bit scary. I would think it would be far more often needed to simply clear the date field than to delete an entire record, especially from the Calendar view, but maybe it could be solved by asking which theyโ€™d like when clicking delete? I think any kind of data removal could benefit from a bit of an extra step to be sure that removal is intended.

Thanks!

91 Comments
Eddy_Prado
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+10000 on the reminders!

Rochelle_Sanche
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Ooo how interesting! Nice one, Neeraj!

Julian_Kirkness
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

There are a couple of potential solutions to this with Zapier which hasnโ€™t been mentioned - the simplest is to base a Zap on a View filtered by โ€œ{Reminder Date} is todayโ€. This is very straightforward to implement with just a date field and a single view with the filter. You then have a Zap triggered by a New Record in View. The only problem with this approach is that Zapier will only send a reminder once for each record (even when the Reminder Date is changed).

There is, however, an alternative, and that is to use a Scheduled Zap - i.e. one triggered by the Schedule trigger included with Zapier. These can be set to Monthly, Weekly, Daily or Hourly - and because you arenโ€™t then reliant on Zapier determining whether it has already been triggered by a record, and you can essentially do whatever you want in the Zap after that.

Iโ€™ve documented this in a blog post if anyone is interested:

Sending Notifications from Airtable

Iโ€™d welcome any thoughts and comments!

University_Mark
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I donโ€™t see a way to edit the calendar view, but Iโ€™m new to the tool and could be missing something. Iโ€™d love to be able to add a couple of fields and color code. Iโ€™m using it for an email marketing calendar, and itโ€™s helpful to know at a glance which department is sending, and who the audience is.

Love the tool so far!

Jiri_Martisek
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi, +1 for notifications. I am considering using AirTable for project management, so I need notifications about due dates.
What about having an option for each date field to send a notification when it becomes now/today (as @Tomas_Baranek suggests). I prefer to send notifications to Slack though.
Alternatively, and this might be easier for you do implement, I would like to get notification when an item appears in a specific view (without necessarily getting updated). Thatโ€™s it. Because then I can set up a view of tasks which are due today or sooner and use this notification for it.
You did a lot of work, no doubt. This feature seems not to be very difficult to implement, and it would improve usability a lot, not only for all these people in this thread (you can check out how many people just visited this discussion without replying, they are probably interested as well).

Max_Lynam
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Not having native notifications for due dates, etc is a MAJOR blocker for us โ€ฆ this shouldnโ€™t have anything to do with calendars or views/filters triggering things โ€ฆ it should just have a native function to send a reminder to the people following/assigned the records.

IS this happening, so we can become paying users โ€ฆ as without it, not sure the system is viable for us !!

Jennifer_M
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 for the email Notifications Feature, and the example image by Ronald_Jan_Veeneman (above) looks good. :slightly_smiling_face:

Sam_Bulow
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@Katherine_Duh & Airtable team โ€“ I definitely have this same issue. A calendar view would be incredibly useful for me and my team, but only if you are able to surface information in addition to the Key Field. Something like the Kanban view that lets you customize the Cards would be the perfect solution.

The suggestion in this thread, about using a formula for the Key Field, only works if are willing to have a longer key field and only want to show the same information in all calendar views. For my base, this is not a practical solution. Is there any update for whether this feature is currently in the pipeline?

Dan_Mandich
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 for Email notifications on Date fields

Amanda_Lin
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I was just searching for a reminder button and found the request here. Iโ€™m so new to airtable that I thought it was just me as a newbie couldnโ€™t figure it out. Kinda strange why a cool tool offering project management/tracker function doesnโ€™t have a reminder? PLS add it! THX!