Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Colored or Highlighted Fields

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Tom_Marino
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hey folks, thanks for a great product.

Simple request: Can you please incorporate the ability to create colored and/or highlighted fields? Iโ€™d like to call out certain rows within sheets. With the inferior, last generation sheets programs (shameless sucking up) Iโ€™d always used colors for this purpose. I realize I could use a column for this, but its a waste of a column in my mind, especially if you are trying to avoid scrolling left to right.

Thanks for consideration.

89 Comments
Jeremy_Oglesby
14 - Jupiter
14 - Jupiter

@Matt_Voorhees โ€“ It may or may not prove useful, but have you tried using Views instead to isolate records that meet certain criteria?

For example, if you need to see any records with negative values, create a View called โ€œNegativesโ€ or something, and have it filter to show only records where the value in {Field Name} < 0.

Or, if you still want to show all records on the same page, you could try using Grouping. To do this, you could try creating a separate formula field that just checks for negative values in a certain field, and returns the word โ€œNegativeโ€ if it finds the value negative, and returns โ€œPositiveโ€ otherwise:

IF(
   {Field Name} < 0,
   "Negative",
   "Positive"
)

Then in your View options Group your records by that formula field, so all your โ€œNegativeโ€ records show up grouped together, and all your โ€œPositiveโ€ records are grouped together, for easy scanning.

Just throwing a couple ideas out there to help you get closer to what youโ€™re looking for with Airtableโ€™s existing functionality.

Matt_Voorhees
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Maybe a dumb question but how are you making the words Negative and Positive red in that example? And if you can do that to words, why in the same formula instance can any numbers <0 not be signified in red automatically?

Jeremy_Oglesby
14 - Jupiter
14 - Jupiter

Iโ€™m not making the words red - canโ€™t do that. I was just suggesting using the words for grouping on. Youโ€™ll have a group in your table called โ€œNegativeโ€ and under that group heading will be any records that have a negative value in {Field Name}.

Then youโ€™ll have another group called โ€œPositiveโ€, and under that group heading will be any records that have a positive value in {Field Name}.

I frequently use emoji as visual indicators as well though, so you could simply add something to catch your eye, like:

IF(
   {Field Name} < 0,
   "๐Ÿ”ด Negative",
   "โšช๏ธ Positive"
)

EDIT - just realized you were likely talking about the red text in the formula sections I made here on the forum. As I said, using these formulas in a formula field in Airtable will not produce red text. This forum software, however, allows you to format โ€œcodeโ€ by surrounding a block of text with three back-ticks on either side - ( ``` )

When you do that, any โ€œstringsโ€ inside the code block are turned red to indicate they are strings within the code. Thatโ€™s just a markup feature of this forum, not an Airtable feature.

Matt_Voorhees
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Ah! Thank you. I think this would be very useful for grouping, etc. but Iโ€™m looking for specific numbers to pop out visually for me. Either the text being colored or the individual cell colored or something of that nature would be more helpful as I look at the overall spreadsheet. But thank you!

Peter_Nelson2

Iโ€™m using the conditional record coloring feature but on my first try I ran up against a limitation on the number of conditional statements that could be included/attached to one color. I was able to add up to 10 conditional criteria to a single color. Why stop there? Can you make this unlimited? And why make the default name of the condition equal to all the text for each criteria? Allow us to sign an abbreviated name to each color conditional for clarity and simplicity.

For my use case I have up to 25 tests that are performed on a given sample. If any one of those criteria tests positive I colorize the record. I can copy the first color condition and use it over again and again to specify new criteria but why limit it in this way?

To accomplish what I need I have to create 3 sets of criteria to color code of positive results, 3 sets of criteria to color code for negative results, and then use a default color to reflect records that were not tested. It works but is more cumbersome than it needs to be.

nathaniel_pulsi
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Need the ability to color an entire column. Row coloring is not as useful as columns for me.

Rylan_Hess

Need the ability to color individual cells based on conditions and rules. Flagging individual cells would be a game changer.

Nelson_Lawson
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Just need to be able to highlight or color code text to accentuate the latest status, data or actions

Jay_Slangen
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Would like to just highlight a row or column. I feel this is a basic functionality that should not cost me $200 per user a year.

Daniel_Schaland
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

To be able to change fonts, color fonts, change background colors of cells and columns etc should be a very basic function that should be included for a multitude of reasons (I bet each user probably has his own reason), its even so basic that justifying it with a reason seems pointless. I even have more customability choices with the text I write in this little free chat ui here then I have in a pro version of an advanced webbased software that costs 20$ a month. But since you asked for a reason, mine is to make certain cells stand out from the others, for example I am making a list of all our products, certain things might have issues, like the price is wrong, or the measurements are wrong etc, and a very simple, quick and effective way to make these issues stand out is to simply color the cells that contain that information red so that my employees will be able to notice it straight away, once they have fixed the issue they can simply color the cell green and I will know that this problem has been solved.