Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Data validation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adam_Reece
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I’ve just started using Airtable, and straightaway I’m wondering if it’s possible to replicate the data validation function available in Excel.

Specifically, what I’d like to do is select from a Single Select list (the field would be called Category), and in the next column/field have a Subcategory, which would give me a Single Select list with a unique list based on the selection I made in the Category field.

For example, if my Category selection was Utilities, my Subcategory selection list would include Phone, Electricity and Gas. Alternatively, if my Category selection was Travel, my Subcategory selection list would include Fuel, Public transport and Flights.

Thanks.

45 Comments
Victoria_Hay
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi @Adam_Reece,

Thanks for your message! Unfortunately Airtable does not yet have such a feature. I realize this could be very useful, and so I have passed your feedback on to the team.

As you may have noticed, you could create separate columns for each category. For instance, you could create a Utility column that provides the options that you listed. You could then create additional columns for other categories that each present relevant options.

Alternatively, you could create one multi-select column that includes all options for all categories. When making a selection users can search for an option by typing the option in to the field. It is therefore easy to locate an option in a long list.

Please let us know if you have any further questions!

Thanks,

Victoria

Aaron_Owen
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I’d like to add a plus one for some sort of data validation feature. The main form of validation I’d like to see is the ability to ensure unique values in a column.

Mike_Eovino
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Another +1 here for data validation. In particular, I’d like to be able to write a formula that the data must adhere to.

Aaron_Owen
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Just thought I’d give this thread a bump. The work I’m doing in AirTable these days is more and more connected with Zapier. I’ve run into several times where I’d like to have Airtable throw an error or alert when a duplicate value is entered into a column where I’ve specified that I’d like to have uniques.

Sam_Gates
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 for data validation. With just a little added functionality, Airtable forms could be a seriously useful feature. A few validation features that my organization would love to see:

• Word/character minimums on text fields

• The ability to make checkboxes required (for pro forma fields, like, “I attest that this information is correct”)

• Comparing two fields to, e.g., make sure an email address has been entered correctly.

And why not have formulaic fields optionally show up on a form view in response to information entered? Then you could at least hack certain features. Like, displaying the output of a character minimum formula.

Anyway, just some thoughts, love this application!

Best,
Sam

Sam_Bauch

+1 for data validation.

I’d like to validate a column based on RegEx to ensure a certain format of a string, and I’d also like to validate whole rows based on some fields being “required”

Frank_Norrmann

Validation becomes an important feature if you need to maintain the integrity of the data and prevent duplicates. At the very least, being able to flag at the time of data entry if the record being entered is already in the table is a must have feature.

RobTX
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I’d also like to see the ability to flag specific fields as REQUIRED. :grinning_face_with_big_eyes:

Klaus_Becker
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

+1 for data validation, it is crucial for advanced form usage.

Andrew_Enright
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

+10 We need to limit/forbid certain single-select options within a given field based on the state of another field. AKA, a way of preventing the status of a record from being updated to the next stage of a given workflow unless prerequisites are met.