Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Default Views for Expanded Records & Expanded Linked Records

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Ryan_Jaccard
5 - Automation Enthusiast

In our CRM, we have a COMPANY Table and a CONTACT Table (among others). Within each of these tables, we have a CLIENT view and SUPPLIER view.

PROBLEM: EXPANDED RECORDS
That said, when I expand a record in the Contact Table > Supplier View, Iโ€™m inundated with irrelevant Client-Contact-specific fields (ex. โ€˜Won Projectsโ€™) haphazardly stacked at the bottom of the record. Itโ€™s become very confusing and bulky for our staff and, in my opinion, itโ€™s probably a big reason so many of us wish we could โ€˜link basesโ€™; but I wonโ€™t dive into that.

PROBLEM: EXPANDED LINKED RECORDS
Likewise, when Iโ€™m in the Company Table > Client View, and I want to access Contact Info for one of our Client companies, Iโ€™ll simply click to expand one of the linked records (linked from the Contact Table). In this case, Iโ€™m still inundated with Supplier-contact-specific fields, lumped together at the bottom. Ultimately, we need these gone!

SOLUTION
Iโ€™d love for a given record to expand into a Default Expanded View Preference (i.e. with default visible fields) that was specified during the creation of this contact/record (i.e. every time I add a new record to the Contact Table, I can select what type of record it is [โ€œClientโ€ vs "Supplier]; in turn, instructing AirTable on which fields are relevant to that record). The result, in the above example of expanded linked records โ€” our entire sales team will always see this expanded linked record as a โ€œClientโ€-specific record, per the recordsโ€™ system-wide default expanded view setting.

DEFAULT VIEW & CUSTOM VIEW PREFERENCE
But then (hear me out!), once any given record is expanded, Iโ€™d like the option to specify, from a dropdown within that expanded record view, how Iโ€™d personally prefer to view that contact/record going forward. For example, the Default View for a given Contact record couldโ€™ve been set to โ€œClientโ€ when it was created; but, depending on my department and the info I typically need, I can now select an alternate โ€˜view preferenceโ€™ from the expanded record drop-down (ex. maybe I choose โ€œClient Finance Dataโ€ or โ€œClient Holiday Gift Infoโ€). Once Iโ€™ve selected a new expanded โ€˜view preferenceโ€™, AirTable would remember this selection as my new personal default for that specific contact/record. The result โ€” anytime the record is expanded by ME, Iโ€™ll only see the info thatโ€™s relevant to my work. If I need additional info/fields in the future, I can always change my โ€œview preferenceโ€ with the dropdown.

Again, I think this feature would help to calm peopleโ€™s consistent request to link bases. I do believe all data can be kept in 1 base, and Iโ€™d prefer it that way; but we need more features to help us hide things that we donโ€™t want to see.

6 Comments
Ryan_Roberts
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I would love to se this as well, having the same problems here.

Michael_Van_Sta
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Setting what a view should default too would be really impactful - iโ€™m struggling not having having this to tout to executive team.

Canโ€™t ask them to open a high level summary and then collapse all of our quarterly views.

Kathy_Benson
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I would like to expand on this feature request. Iโ€™d like the ability to customize the appearance of an expanded view. I have tables with a lot of columns and I use expanded view a lot of times rather than scrolling wide right and left. I love that a default layout is available with all columns shown and the ability to unhide columns in the expanded view as well. On the other hand, this functionality can be overwhelming to the casual user. What I propose is that any view can have its own expanded view settings.

1. I would create a grid view of the main table for casual users with the expanded view having certain fields which I select. Iโ€™m fine with the customization being specified in a view, so that it is easy to identify the order of fields, and which ones to hide/show.

2. I would have a different grid view and l let that use the default expanded view setup.

3. For my gallery view of the table, Iโ€™d customize the expanded view to show only pertinent columns.

My approach would provide more functionality than @ryan_roberts proposes but it provides a broad generic solution.

Zach_Mortensen

This would be a HUGE help to be able to pick the viewable fields in an expanded, related table.

Tristan_Scifo
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Does anyone know if this has been solved in some way? I have a sense this can be done now, but itโ€™s not clear to me how.

tiolan

I would love to se this as well, having the same problems here.