Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Floor Layout with simple shapes that can be positioned

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Ken_Moholt-Sieb
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

A table view that allows the user to draw simple shapes and place them to form a layout, and then place records in those places. Starting with a simple gridded background (i.e. like graph paper) place a circle or a rectangle in the grid and then connect that shape with a record in the table, or perhaps a query of the table.

In my particular situation, Iโ€™m working on a winery production database that will keep track of wine lots and barrels and tanks. A common way of managing tanks is to use a whiteboard with circles in permanent ink drawn on the board to represent the tank layout in the tank room and then use white-erase pen to write in the lot and date of fill and planned date to empty. This is a similar problem to POS systems in restaurants, that have a view where you can draw simple circles or rectangles to represent tables and keep track of seating and reservations that way. A manufacturer with process flow or a warehouse with stocking will have similar needs. You could use this kind of view for a seating chart or for an office inventory as well.

7 Comments
Kevin_Kunkel
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Considering @Ken_Moholt-Siebert 's suggestion as a generic request, the background could be anything 2 dimensional (like a whiteboard diagram, a floor plan, or the section/elevation of a building). A user-defined coordinate system, like how many divisions by how many divisions (like a grid) would need to be a parameter in order to locate symbols or markers on the background image. Next, each record in the table or view would need an x coordinate and a y coordinate. Finally, a definition of the โ€œtooltipโ€ details in a โ€œhoverโ€ event over the symbol or marker would make certain fields momentarily visible, like name, attachment, etc. This could be simpler than the 3-D viewer, and possibly much more useful (floorplans, planograms, data center racks, file drawers, key safes, or essentially any detailed graphic could be added . . . even flow charts.

That would really allow me to do a great deal more visually.

Kevin_Kunkel

In other words, It would require a use case for loading a 2-d image, a use case for defining a coordinate grid, a use case for associating x and y to fields in the view, a use case for selecting a marker, and a use case for defining what details are visible in a โ€œhover-noteโ€ or tooltip.

Vincent_Tang
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Implementing a SQL schema designer would be nice

Something akin to https://www.draw.io/ or https://www.lucidchart.com/ but linked directly with airtable

This way you can see the 100% view of database architecture in one view

Terry_Breschi1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I set out to create a floor plan using the new Page Designer. Unfortunately, Iโ€™m running into an issue where I canโ€™t represent different seats on the same page. I suspect this is possible, but that I havenโ€™t formatted the data correctly.

Hereโ€™s a gif of whatโ€™s happening
https://media.giphy.com/media/8hYd0UbpGYHh0WHc1D/giphy.gif

The only โ€œsolutionโ€ I can think of right now would be to create a field for each seat, as that should enable me to show different seats on the same pageโ€ฆ

Butโ€ฆ Thereโ€™s gotta be a better way! Right?

Thanks for reading :slightly_smiling_face:

Terry_Breschi1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Also, why am I not able to include links or images in my post when the WYSIWYG editor has them as options?

holbop
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Did anything ever come of this? Iโ€™m trying to do it in page designer but running into the same issues as @Terry_Breschi1 .

lenovia
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

up