Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Kanban Cards Need To Be More Compact

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dan_Kang1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I am trying to convert from Asana to Airtable using Kanban cards. But the Kanban cards, even with the recent improvements hiding fields if they are empty, are still too chunky. Using a non Kanban view on Asana. I can see 15 tasks without having to scroll down, and their Kanban view will show around 5 tasks. But with Airtable, the cards are so huge, I can only see 2 or 3 cards before I have to scroll down.

If there was an option on each card to show a compact view or a standard view, it would greatly improve the usability of Kanban cards with airtable.

The compact view only needs to show the title, and if you want to see more of the card you can toggle the standard view.

This would greatly increase the usability and help me move everything off of Asana.

78 Comments
Kevin_Gotteri
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello there,

I totally agree with making the kanban cards more compact, or at least to have the options available, like you have crop-fit options for the picture. And I am not talking about adding new functionality to have a cool Kanban, I am talking about having a real Kanban that respects Kanban spirit, meaning: only display relevant & important information, hide everything else, period.

Because Kanban are designed to enable people to quickly find & manage a lot of cards, they should always be visually optimized and space should never be wasted.

Few solution to make it possible in Airtable:

• Attributes names can be removed, we don’t need to have them a million times. Cards are simples, they display relevant & important information, so people using the Kanban know what are the important attributes.
    Capture111

• Empty space in long text attributes should not actually take any space, this is wasted space.
    Capture112

In this example, the two solutions divide the card’s height by almost 2, so we can display almost twice more cards on the same screen.

Dan_Kang1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Great points!

I love the way you phrased this. The spirit of Kanban is to only display relevant information and to visually optimize the tasks to remove clutter. This is what airtable needs to focus on with Kanban.

I agree with the attribute names being removed. If needed Airtable can replace the attributes with an image that references that attribute or remove it all completely. I think this should be up to the user IMO.

What I would really like to see is the ability to toggle the cards to quickly show more information or minimize the information shown. This is something that not even trello has. In the example you posted you could have a long list of To Do’s within the Kanban. There could be an arrow pointing down to expand the To Do’s and an arrow pointing right for when you want to minimize and hide the list. This way you could have some large Kanban cards and some minimal Kanban cards depending on what you are working on that day.

Mathieu_Renaud
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I totally agree, attribute names can be removed without problem :ok_hand:

FranckG
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 totally agree with @Kevin_Gotteri explication

Daniel_Huggins
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Yeah, we want to use this for our sprint planning, but it’s not quite suitable in it’s current form.

Doug_Justice
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I just convinced one of our customers to switch to AirTable from Trello and this is a HUGE disappointment for them. I’ve told them to zoom out in Chrome/Safari, but they don’t understand why it doesn’t just wrap to a 2nd or 3rd line since, “Trello even does that.”.

Really think many would benefit from this request. So + 1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1,000,000,000

Donald_Newlands
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

We switched from Trello, but the Kanban has been unusable to us for so long, I think we’re heading back soon. Not being able to use the kanban on mobile or tablets also makes it pretty useless for a lot of us.
-Donald

Doug_Justice
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@Donald_Newlands - Wow, we haven’t even looked at them via a mobile device or tablet…that’s not good news at all, but hopefully they’ll find a way to improve these items sooner vs. later. If you haven’t done so already, I’d strongly suggest opening a support ticket so it gets on their product backlog (if it isn’t already) and gets placed to the top.

Maylene_So

Totally agree on hiding the attribute names.

Maylene_So

Also need the ability to expand/collapse the 'NAME" attribute in both Kanban and gallery views. (Similar to the grid functionality but on Gallery and Kanban views). My printouts have half the text cut off.