Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Make Android barcode search comparable to iOS search

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeremy_Oglesby
14 - Jupiter
14 - Jupiter

In the #ios app, the search bar will live-filter records in a table based on the presence of search parameters in any field within the records.

This allows me to use the barcode search feature in #ios to search for a barcode in a field other than the “Name” field - it’s glorious.

It was quite frustrating to realize that my technicians who have #android phones cannot do the same - the search bar does not search across all fields. It only searches the primary field (“Name” in my case). We both scan the same barcode and my iPhone returns a result

#android specific #feature-requests - please add multi-field search comparable to the iOS search feature in the Android app.

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Comments
drassi
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

+1! It would be really great if Android had feature-parity with iOS in regards to barcode compatibility, we are forced to use more expensive iOS devices just because they have better barcode search/lookup features in the app.

Emmanuel_van_de
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I think Android is working fine when you use the native phone camera. With a 3d party barcode scanning app, I had indeed a bug that was preventing to search fields matching a barcode, but after deinstalling the barcode scanning app and reinstalling airtable app, I was able to find records by scanning a barcode even when the primary field did not contain the barcode number.
I have however another concern. Barcode would be very usefull for inventory management if ever it was possible to find a specific record using barcode scanning when linking to a record of another table, for instance when picking up a product for delivery.
Unfortunately, it appears that there is no way to look for a specific product in the product table by scanning its barcode from the delivery table, since there is no option for barcode scanning in the record selection view of a ‘link to’ record. It would be a greatful feature however. Please add to the CR list!

ivan_paudice
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Barcode scan performance on Android are horrible. This is killing my Airtable integration in the company. The scan area is huge, it is impossible to pick a barcode when there are more of them on a product. The speed of scan and scan occurrence is WAY below acceptable in my case.
iOS on the other side takes the challenge perfectly. but the company can’t switch to iOS on the shopfloor… this is really, really sad.