Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Mandatory fields

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yoshiki_Kuraki
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I want to set some fields mandatory so our team members do not forget to input.
For example, customer’s name should be mandatory for a project management but some members forget to input it. The image is that if a mandatory field is blank, users are requested to input the field otherwise the new record is not created.

56 Comments
W_Vann_Hall
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

As a[n admittedly limited] workaround, I often build alerts and alarms into bases using either conditional record coloring or emoji coding. (Recently, I’ve also begun adding a special <Errors and Alerts> view and a corresponding Page Designer Block to provide full-text descriptions of any non-conforming records as sort of a context-sensitive ‘help’.) You can find an example of such a workaround here.

Natalia_Navas
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1, this would be great

kalenjordan

The way that I do this is by having a field called “Next Action” which determines who should do what next based on what fields are currently populated - I have a huge nested IF statement that I manage for this - works pretty well.

Robert_Deutsch
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Care to share :slightly_smiling_face:
This is beyond required. As bases get more complex, they become messy. Policing becomes the main function of a product manager, not efficient use of time. Please add this functionality, and in the interim, members, pls post workarounds. Greatly appreciated.

Nigel_Moore
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

A huge vote for this one!

Steve_Penson

Agree. This would be very useful functionality.

Ludovic_Moular1

Any news regarding this feature request?
It seems to me like it’s a very important one, I understand the processing constraints it would bring out though…

Anna
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Another vote for this feature! It is way too easy for someone to erroneously create a record - all it takes is a slip of the mouse. I just sent a list of cleanup items to our data entry person this morning, all of which could have been prevented by having required fields. Please, please make this available!

Anna
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

If it is helpful to anyone - my workaround at this time is to create a separate view that filters if the fields that I would like to be required are empty. So, for example, if I want Column A and B to be “required”, in this view my filter is “Column A is empty OR Column B is empty”. This view can then be used as a QA/QC check to quickly see where our “required” fields have not been filled out. Obviously, this is less convenient than being able to make these fields required at the time the record is created, but it’s better than nothing!

RDB

I join the crowd upvoting this feature.