Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

New Data Type: Location

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jacob_Clayton
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Could you add a new data type for locations? Types of locations that would be useful are:
-Address (123 First St, City, State)
-Lat / Long (31.12345, -110.12345)
-Military Grid Reference System (11S NV 12345 12345)

This would be incredibly useful if the location is a hyperlink to a map (similar to how an address in the Long Text data field will open up in Apple Maps).

Additionally, if a list of locations on a table could be viewed in a single map view allowing the map to display all of the locations from the table.

105 Comments
Mathew_Hollings
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 for this feature! I hope it makes it into an RC.

Friedrich_Kirch
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1
Regarding the new beta feature announced by Katherine: hopefully the location can be “shared” through other apps, so the user can use Google Maps, MapsIt, OSMand or other GPS-apps to navigate to that location.

M_Williams
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’m a PhD student studying history. I’d love to be able to link my primary source material that I gather from archives (documents, objects, diaries, letters) to a map so that I could visualize where they were produced, for example. Is this feature available? Thanks so much! Airtable has been amazing for organizing my research materials and even ideas for papers and dissertation chapters.

snrkl_otomus
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I am playing with using AirTable to build a model rocket flight log system.

Being able to record precise GPS location from a phone or tablet will allow calculations of flight drift (ie: how far from the launch pad did the rocket land)

It will also be useful for keeping track of launch sites etc…

Iris_De_Rijcker
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have created a database with companies that have offered internship positions to our students in the past + reviews of these companies by students and internship coaches. Students that are looking for an internship position can browse the database to find a company they like. It would be great if they could see all the companies on a map! Or if they could click on the company and see it’s location on a map!

elena_rapisardi
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

It would be a great feature to manage geolocation in dbase for Natural Hazards

Kane_Davis
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I would benefit greatly from a Location data type, linked to googleMaps for example. Podio has this feature that can be added drag/drop when modifying a module template. You type an address and it shows the gMap. For Airtable this might be possible using Kanban or Gallery view, in Grid view maybe just a link (like the URL type) that would open a new tab to gMaps. I love Airtable for it’s simplicity and versatility, very intuitive. Podio is a bit over-engineered for my needs. I use Airtable to for my GTD needs, esp upper horizons, and for my real estate photography business—which is where I would use the location type most, tracking customer homes and locations.

elena_rapisardi
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I would like to underline that it would be useful not only address geocoding but also via latitude and longitude, or allowing to define a geopoint dragging a marker on a map. This is particularly useful in cases where there is no address (e.g. a geological feature, an emergency rescue camp, wildlife, wildlife locations etc.).

Nicolas_Rosenfe
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@Airtable_Team, any chance to have this feature in your roadmap ?
thanks !

Luc_Dubois
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

So now we are almost 2 years later. That doesn’t bode well.

I’m completely new here and I am still just evaluating Airtable since yesterday. I just want to add my voice to the other posters here. A location field with map view would be an absolute must for me to continue evaluating Airtable. Without it, it’s not even worth pursuing. fwiw

Otherwise, great job!