Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

New Data Type: Location

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Jacob_Clayton
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Could you add a new data type for locations? Types of locations that would be useful are:
-Address (123 First St, City, State)
-Lat / Long (31.12345, -110.12345)
-Military Grid Reference System (11S NV 12345 12345)

This would be incredibly useful if the location is a hyperlink to a map (similar to how an address in the Long Text data field will open up in Apple Maps).

Additionally, if a list of locations on a table could be viewed in a single map view allowing the map to display all of the locations from the table.

105 Comments
Elly_Hanrahan
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This seems like it would really help us! Would you be able to explain your formula a little more? Also, what format do you input into the โ€˜addressโ€™ field?

JJ_Trujillo
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yes! a โ€œlocation typeโ€ with address, city/state/zip would be a great help with our mailing list.

Erika_M1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Elly, Alexeyโ€™s formula works as follows (I am going to use restaurant names for my example):

1. First create an column for the restaurant names (we will call it โ€œRestaurantโ€)
  2. Create a 2nd column (I will refer to this as the โ€œgoogle maps linkโ€) and add Alexeyโ€™s formula (which I changed to the following):
    IF(Restaurant=BLANK(),BLANK(),CONCATENATE("https://www.google.com/maps/search/",SUBSTITUTE(Restaurant," โ€œ,โ€+")))

Here is the breakdown:

1. IF the โ€œRestaurantโ€ name is blank, then return blank for the โ€œgoogle maps linkโ€
  2. IF the โ€œRestaurantโ€ name is NOT blank, then return the following string of text together: https://www.google.com/maps/search/restaurant+name
    *For a google maps link to work there needs to be โ€œ+โ€ in between each space of the name of the place you are searching, hence the substitute() formula.

Hope this helps

Anurag_Singhai
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1
a simple (lat-long) data type with a map_view on Open Street Map would be super useful.

Kevin_Cole
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Currently, geocoded addresses are saved as a base64 encoded string. However, there is no support for decoding base64 to a normal string, making it difficult to access the returned latitudes/longitudes. It would be great to have a way to save lat/lng values as strings! That way, these values can be easily used for external applications.

Angela_Hale
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Would love a location field - address, city, state, zip, etc, with some international support options for different international needs (like province). Doesnโ€™t seem to be a clean or effective solution to separate them all out into individual columns (city, state, etc).

Utility_Locator
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Voting for this, thanks!

AM858
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Please please please include this. I love using airtable for collecting information about real estate. Here are a few use cases.

1. Apartment Hunting: I collected about 50 different apartments into a base to share information with my roommate. It would have been really helpful to be able input the address into a field so I could click on the address to go to it on maps or see all of my data entries pooled together on one Google Map

2. Creating lists of locations: Would be awesome to create lists of, for example, trending restaurants, which could be seen on a google map.

3. Looking at investment property: Same as the other reasons. Iโ€™d like to be able to see properties Iโ€™m looking at buying on a map view.

Rene_Galindo
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Iโ€™m creating IMDb for Tacos: The Internet Taco Database. I need location to add the restaurant where the taco is located. Iโ€™m currently using the link from the venue in Foursquare / Gmaps, but would love to add it directly from Airtable.

Cheerio,

Abram_Bailey1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is there any way to add a new location by google address autocomplete / Google Places? We want to build a form for business registrations in our online directory, and would need something like this for Airtable to be an option.