Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

New Data Type: Location

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Jacob_Clayton
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Could you add a new data type for locations? Types of locations that would be useful are:
-Address (123 First St, City, State)
-Lat / Long (31.12345, -110.12345)
-Military Grid Reference System (11S NV 12345 12345)

This would be incredibly useful if the location is a hyperlink to a map (similar to how an address in the Long Text data field will open up in Apple Maps).

Additionally, if a list of locations on a table could be viewed in a single map view allowing the map to display all of the locations from the table.

105 Comments
Lucas_Janon
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Did you found a way to do that?

Bryan_Smith
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Iโ€™ve built some intersting map formulas to share for ride booking using fields [Pickup,Destination]

Iโ€™m trying to build a url for street view but itโ€™s not working because it wants Lat/Lon instead of street addresses. Is there anyway to convert a street address to lat/lon in airtable?

Directions from current location to Pickup
โ€œhttps://www.google.com/maps/dir/Current+Location/โ€ & SUBSTITUTE(Pickup," โ€œ,โ€+")

Directions from Pickup to Destination
โ€œhttps://www.google.com/maps/dir/?api=1&origin=โ€ & SUBSTITUTE(Pickup," โ€œ,โ€+") & โ€œ&layer=t&destination=โ€ & SUBSTITUTE(Destination," โ€œ,โ€+")

Bryan_Smith
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

This could be the answer for many people here that want to build databases and add autopopulated geolocation fields.

Build form in JotForm with Geo Widget, send via Zap or Integromat to Airtable.

Aristeidis_Zagk
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

wowโ€ฆ3.5 years and still nothing about this.
map block is nice, but still. in order to make proper location data, you need at least 3 columnsโ€ฆi am sure you can do better.

Andrew_Enright
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

Agreed. Blocks are and always will be secondary to the primary Airtable UI. We need a true location field, not a maps block.

Cody_Klimper
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I am trying to make the switch from Monday .com to Airtable and I am really needing this location feature. I run an embroidery shop as well as make custom apparel from scratch all in Southern California. I would need this feature so that when I myself go out to pick up all of my product from different vendors and contractors, or send a driver out, it is clear where to go. Shouldnโ€™t be hard to add a simple click feature that opens up in a map. It exists on Monday .com and Iโ€™m hesitant to switch over to Airtable without the feature.

Jared_Ekas
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This is huge. Sharepoint lists have it and it makes life so easy.

Daniel_Cazzulin
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

How can this still not be supported, years after a gazillion concrete scenarios where provided and where itโ€™s been made abundantly clear that the maps block is not simple/intuitive enough?

Disappointed :(. BTW, if that was a premium only feature, I think I would pay for it.

Yonathan_Morale
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Definetely a needed one. It shouldnโ€™t be that hard, please do it.

Jean-Philippe_E
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Quick question: I assume AirTable should not be use to store geolocation data of a device ? because if I store my location 10x 365d = 3650 with 50k record I will be quickly limited ?

Is there a workaround ? Store data in an SQL database then mix data between airtable and that database ? In a Block ?

Why Iโ€™d like to do something like Google Location History mixing a lot of data each day. But for instance โ€œlocationโ€ is too heavy for AirTable ?