Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Select which Collaborators are available in Collaborator field

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Josh_Cooper
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Airtable team,

We have a relatively large team using Airtable across multiple departments. It would be awesome if the Collaborator field could be pared down to just the collaborators in a particular department. For instance, if we have a Collaborator field called Production, we would be able to only see the collaborators in the Production department. As it is, everyone from every department has to look through all the names to find there name.

Thanks!

5 Comments
Kamille_Parks
16 - Uranus
16 - Uranus

Agreed! In the meantime you could try having each collaborator paired a record in a โ€œCollaboratorsโ€ table that uses a single select field to identify departments. Since you can say โ€œonly allow selection from this viewโ€ for link fields, you could create a view for each department. Then in place of your collaborator fields you would use a link to another record field limited to the appropriate view instead to assign records. (You could bring in the collaborator field as a lookup)

The above workaround isnโ€™t ideal, but does sort of highlight how thereโ€™s precedent for Airtable allowing you to filter a list of available selections. I would like to see similar functionality for Collaborator field types, but this may require them to add a โ€œusersโ€ panel for bases/workspaces so you can define whoโ€™s in what department/category/etc.

Josh_Cooper
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thanks for the suggestion @Kamille_Parks! I donโ€™t think that work around will work for us, but I will give it a closer look and see.

I was actually thinking of something like the permissions capability. Just a toggle switch beside each collaborator to determine if they are viewable in the dropdown. That doesnโ€™t seem like a huge deal to implement, but itโ€™s probably not going to be at the top of the list anytime soon. Just thought I would throw it out there.

Thanks again!

Kamille_Parks
16 - Uranus
16 - Uranus

That could work as well, I was thinking of a wider scale so you donโ€™t have to do this individually for each collaborator field

Derek_Keith
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I agree- a toggle would be excellent. What the proposed work around does not include is the collaborator fieldโ€™s ability to notify collaborators. I work for ASU, which recently enterprised Airtable, but now everyone, including students, are starting to populate in the dropdown. Toggling to the workspace or base would be great!

Josh_Cooper
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Our company has gone with the enterprise plan as well. I am constantly having to clean up select fields to remove the type-oโ€™s and non-standard entries. This is a much needed feature. There are also other opportunities to create user groups with more granular rights to better control data entry.