Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

[SOLVED] Formatting options for Long Text

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Arlo_Haskell
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I would love to see basic text formatting options for the long text field. At a minimum: bold and italic formatting would be a huge help.

I would like to use long text fields to store short bios for writers. But without the ability to have italic formatting, I can’t properly format the titles of their books.

The markdown formatting tools available in this Airtable community message editor would be perfect.

154 Comments
David_Lee
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Markdown would be super helpful. I approve this message.

James_King
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 for Markdown support in long-text fields.

jtmusson
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 for this. The same formatting options as exist in a base description would be ace.

jn08
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

+1 from me too. This is one of the big things stopping me from switching my solution over.

Kumar_Indresh
5 - Automation Enthusiast

naked links looks so messy
wish I could hide long URLs with markdown

Tomas_Baranek

+1 surprised Airtable actually understands markdown (in base description fields)!

Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Formatting options for Long Text would be such a powerful thing to have!

What have other users been doing to get around this limitation?

jn08
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I use encoding - square brackets for bold and curly brackets for italics.
Can sub in HTML tags in a formula for outputting.

Carlos_Pita

Specially for urls this would be great. Currently if you need to link to multiple urls you have to create an url table and add multiple links from the current record to records in the url table. Besides, this won’t be well integrated (wiki style) in the record notes/description.

Trello mixes the concept of attachment and urls. Since Airtable already support a multiple attachment field, a generalization that sees urls as a kind of external attachment would also support the particular use case I described above.

Garland_Coulson
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

+1 for formatting in long text. Also being able to add pictures and videos would be awesome.