Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

[SOLVED] Formatting options for Long Text

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Arlo_Haskell
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I would love to see basic text formatting options for the long text field. At a minimum: bold and italic formatting would be a huge help.

I would like to use long text fields to store short bios for writers. But without the ability to have italic formatting, I canโ€™t properly format the titles of their books.

The markdown formatting tools available in this Airtable community message editor would be perfect.

154 Comments
Joshua_Bicknell
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 Currently using Blocks to produce investment reports and without formatting the long text boxes become very hard to read and use. We are using lots of symbols to try and mix things up โ€“ * : etc but not a very good workaround.

Camille_K
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Another user that would really appreciate formatting capabilities in Airtable here.
Use-case: I have a table with a lot of information, and Iโ€™d like to make the actionable items bold so that they stand out amongst the other cellsโ€™ text. Markdown, or an equivalent, would be hugely helpful.

Maria_Korolov
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Add my name to the list of people who would REALLY want to have a rich text editor.

My preference? The WordPress approach of being able to switch between โ€œvisualโ€ and โ€œtextโ€ views.

Keita_Miyauchi
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello. I also expect long-text format updates!

Markdown and rich content are different things, it is better to think separately.

If you are optimizing for Markdown, I would like an experience like Chrome extension StackEdit.

The following is the mock I made. The input field of Airtable is not textarea, so this Chrome extension does not work.

airtable-stackedit-mock.gif

Max_Visser
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi I just started using Airtable yesterday for our business operating in IT services. We use github primairly for project management and all our issues on there are written using Markdown. If you use Zapier to create airtable records when an issue on Github is created you can copy over the issue description to a airtable long field. Only now we have all headings and styling missing from the original issue.

It would be great for our use case to be able to use markdown within a long text field. This will help adoption within my organisation.

4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

It would be awesome for us using airtable for the purpose of documenting minutes and logs of our daily activities at startups. Airtable could have much wider capabilities if we could use markdown functionalities, even it wouldnโ€™t be a long text field but new markdown field or anything.

Cameron_Pye

new airtable user here, experimenting w/ moving whole team to pro but I was kind of shocked to see there was no rich text editorโ€ฆ

would love to use markdown since thatโ€™s kind of the defacto standard. I imagine a lot of users would appreciate a gui driven rich text editor (if that compiled to markdown that would be ideal for compatibility) just my 2ยข

T_Y
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

and the kicker to all of this is that they already have the code in place for parsing and displaying markdown in the base description modal. :triumph:

Aaron_Dahlstrom
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

The lack of rich text formatting in long text severely limits the usefulness of Airtable. If I want to brainstorm or create notes, I have to use a separate application or program because any โ€œlong textโ€ quickly becomes unreadable without formatting.

Please prioritize this very common and highly requested feature.

Pascal_LEFEVRE
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Agreed. Formatting of long text would really be nice.

It would also be nice to be able to format the records (and center them vertically) when you increase the row height.