Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

[SOLVED] Formatting options for Long Text

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Arlo_Haskell
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I would love to see basic text formatting options for the long text field. At a minimum: bold and italic formatting would be a huge help.

I would like to use long text fields to store short bios for writers. But without the ability to have italic formatting, I canโ€™t properly format the titles of their books.

The markdown formatting tools available in this Airtable community message editor would be perfect.

154 Comments
Chandan_Chauhan
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Would love some formatting options, at least the basic ones.

Joe_LaChance
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Airtable, PLEASE add this.

X_Jones
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Putting a Vote in here for Rich Text Editor for Airtable Long Text field. Would be very helpful and open a lot of doors to the functionality of Airtable.

Iโ€™m using the Airpress Plugin for Wordpress (this allow you to display airtable fields with shortcodes) and having to manually edit my HTML attributes in my Airtable Fields. IF this could mirror the text editor in Wordpress simply using a shortcode that would be AWESOME!

Reuben
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I also would love some basic formatting options for a field type.

Susan_Abbott
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

100% agree, we need some minimal formatting ability. It is not possible to properly format a citation or a quote. (I am using AirTable for a Zettelkasten, among other things, and need the ability to capture appropriate references to books and articles)

I was looking to see if I could solve this with a block add-on, and could not. The formatting available in this comment box would be just fine, as one of the earlier commenters said.

If itโ€™s a concern over pricing, then make it available with the first paid level only.
Would make a great product even better. :heart_eyes:

mangen
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Markdown would be very very very useful for the long text fields where Iโ€™m often including descriptions and other text that has bulleted/numbered lists, etc.

Brendon_Johnson

Surprised AirTable hasnโ€™t integrated this yet, definitely bold and italics at least, as well as bullet points would be super super useful

Rob_Byrne
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Alright - Airtable, we love you - clearly - but we need to make long text strings bold, italics, etc. I mean if we can conditionally format to produce :stuck_out_tongue: emojiโ€™s, we should also be able to make text italicsโ€ฆ

The situation - specific use - is that job descriptions are stored using evernote for recruiting and essentially itโ€™s distracting to have to keep separate databases.

Thanks for your consideration.

Emily_Campbell
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This is a huge must have for me. Iโ€™m hoping to transition over fully to airtable. I organize research for myself and my team via a database and the long notes section allows me to capture key quotes and data that can be searchable. Basic bold, italics, and link formatting is a must have, though markdown support for quotes, bullets, and headers would be even more helpful. I donโ€™t need a WYSIWYG editor - markdown is fine - but nothing is keeping us from full adoption

Laura_Prescott
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Iโ€™m also here to plead for formatting options in Long Text fields. My company is looking into using Airtable, and the lack of formatting might be a deal breaker for us. Specifically, we need to be able to strikethrough portions of text within a box. Though we might be able to make it work with bold or ital.