Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

[SOLVED] Formatting options for Long Text

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Arlo_Haskell
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I would love to see basic text formatting options for the long text field. At a minimum: bold and italic formatting would be a huge help.

I would like to use long text fields to store short bios for writers. But without the ability to have italic formatting, I canโ€™t properly format the titles of their books.

The markdown formatting tools available in this Airtable community message editor would be perfect.

154 Comments
Casey
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I just had one of my users complain that Google Sheets canโ€™t do rich text and I soooo wanted to tell them that Airtable could do it, but then I found this thread.

So, ya, +1 for all the above.

Daniel_Smith
5 - Automation Enthusiast

+1

This would be great. I currently export HTML or markup from the long text field which I then need to run through something to convert it to rich text.

Marco_Vescio
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1

Weโ€™re using AirTable as a PM tool for a creative team. Formatted text is definitely something we could use! Ordered and unordered lists to break down the details of a project is becoming increasingly necessary. A way to copy/paste formatted text to be used in that project with other html compliant programs (word, tinymce in a browser, etc) would also be awesome.

Stephen_Russell
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 for all of the above. Seems like this idea has a long history. If it isnโ€™t likely to be worked on, it would be great to get a response from the Product team about why and the rationale.

Evan_Dobos

This is what I feel is needed:

• Header text 1-3
  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Paragraph Breaks
  • Links
  • Bullet / Number Lists
  • Images would be quite nice, too.

So, most of the options that we are given when making comments in this actual forum!

14%20PM

Thomas_Ritchie
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1

Please please please. This app would save my life if it only had the slightest markup capability.

I put a list of companies in a google sheet, and then needed to make an easy-to-read document that summarized each company. So I made a google doc that gave an elevator speech for each company, with bullet points and bold phrases. If AirTable had markup, I could merge these two things. As it is, I have to maintain two docs and update everything twice. :tired_face:

Peter_Sergeant

After a year or so of using Airtable, weโ€™re finally moving somewhere else because this feature doesnโ€™t exist. What a shame! Canโ€™t believe yโ€™all didnโ€™t build this.

Ken_Ficara
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Itโ€™s ironic that I can use Markdown to emphasize how disappointed I am that thereโ€™s no Markdown in AirTable text fields.

Marcus_Seoighe
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Please please add in text formatting/markdown. Would be so helpful in organise/prioritise content through bullet points, creating bolded items, linking urls (rather than the full messy cumbersome entire link). Even basic bullet points, hyperlinking and some basic text styling would be of massive help for presentation and legibility particularly when sharing with sharing with other contributors.

Stefan_Spranger

+1

We use this tool to register all desired A/B tests. For this we also need to set up goals in Optimizely. For this list I need to be able to give a good description including bullet points and making text bold/italic