Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

[SOLVED] Formatting options for Long Text

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Arlo_Haskell
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I would love to see basic text formatting options for the long text field. At a minimum: bold and italic formatting would be a huge help.

I would like to use long text fields to store short bios for writers. But without the ability to have italic formatting, I can’t properly format the titles of their books.

The markdown formatting tools available in this Airtable community message editor would be perfect.

154 Comments
Stephen_Green
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yep, rich text is something that I’ve been asking for a while. They continue to add amazing new stuff but this simple one doesn’t seem to make the priority list.

Arlo_Haskell
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Totally agree – I posted on this a while ago and it’s gotten a lot of interest from users, but no action from Airtable yet. Here’s that post if you’d like to chime in over there: Formatting options for Long Text

Michael_Mills
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Rich text, please! Not just because QuickBase and others provide it, but because it’s hugely useful-for example, in a content management system, if the articles can be in rich text fields, they can be exported for publication. Or using the new Page Designer Block, rich text can be injected into output documents. The user support for this feature is obvious and long.

Chris_Lu
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Very much agreed! We’re having to store our product descriptions outside of Airtable as they’re unusable without formatting. Introducing rich text would be a huge improvement, and would also enable us to create product information sheets, catalogues, etc with the Page Designer block.

John_McCann
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Think something like the word processor you can use to compose emails in Gmail. It’s simple but really powerful. With bolding and bullet points, this would allow me to create more organized looking notes within Airtable.

simon_monk
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Since AirTable doesn’t support Markdown, I’m looking to use TurnDown (https://github.com/domchristie/turndown/blob/master/README.md)

Can anyone offer an example of how to call and format say a

to a # as a pointer to get started?

Stew_Dellow
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 The one thing missing for allowing Airtable to be used as CMS (and opening up a market for them) is rich text editing or at least Markdown (with support for images).

Would love to see this.

Stephen_Sinclai
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 Would be very useful in an editorial environment, for sure.

Stefan_Vaziri
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 – This is a no-brainer and seems like low hanging fruit, what could possibly be preventing them from implementing this?

Utility_Locator
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I am voting for this, adding in formatting for long text calculated by a formula. This would be helpful in the page designer block.