Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

[SOLVED] Simple checklist within fields

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daniel_Zuckerma
5 - Automation Enthusiast

This would go a long way in letting many of us move completely away from Trello, Asana, Etc. into Airtable. I know there are workarounds (link to another table’s list containing the tasks), but that quickly becomes overly cumbersome. Would love to have simple checklist as a field option!

76 Comments
Jonathan_Green

I really need this feature.

Whenever I bug the Airtable staff about it, they tell me its on the “long term roadmap”. I don’t know why this feature wasn’t made on week 1. It is so logical and necessary for so many workflows.

SpatialAnomaly

I would upvote this request 1000 times if I could. We have a common task for nearly every project that comes through our doors and it’s the same 6 or 7 “steps” every single time. It would be fantastic to just have a single task with a single column of checkboxes to indicate which steps are complete. The last time I brought this up elsewhere, it was suggested I use Zapier to automate the creation of a bunch of common tasks.

Airtable does almost everything we need without ANY 3rd party integration, it’s literally this one thing - the absence of a simple checklist that does not need any relational reference anywhere else for commons tasks and TODO development lists within a task. Personally, I really dislike Zapier, I especially dislike the idea of relying on the 3rd party service for a key part of my company’s project management process. I hate that it feels really fragile, as if anyone changes any of the criteria or values that might trigger a Zap to function the whole thing breaks and it’s not realistic that I lock ALL of my team out of the admin access of Airtable where key people can add columns and change some of that stuff. If tomorrow Zapier decided they’d had enough and closed up shop the whole house of cards will fall, unlikely as that seems I think if you talked to anyone in web development they could recite at least one story of a 3rd party API they relied on being shut down and making life complete hell.

Michael_Hastie

I liked the idea of emojis. I created a formula that concatenates name of task and whether task is completed or not into the main field that is used in project. that way i get a list of linked fields with emojis saying completed or not. Only quirk is when you edit it, the first field is a non editable formula but i can live with that.

Colin_Bovet
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thank you! This worked great for me.

Jocelyn_Roberts
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@Julian_Kirkness I used your “Using Airtable / Zapier to create checklists” process to create our to-do’s/tasks for constant recurring events. Thank you it was super easy to follow! Since Zapier is only communicates one way, have you created this same process using Integromat? My understanding of Integromat is that it will allow communication to go both ways and if changes are made to the airtable base then Integromat would trigger again and make the correct task updates in Airtable. Is that correct? I have been trying to build the same process in Integromat but can’t figure out where or how the javascript would run for the array of objects. Any thoughts or expertise? Thanks!!

Julian_Kirkness
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hi @Jocelyn_Robertson, you wouldn’t need any Javascript to do this is Integromat - it handles multiple records intrinsically. What you could do is query the Checklist Items table following for the value in the triggering project table and this would return all of the records (you need to set the ‘Maximum Number of Returned Records’ to a high enough value).

With Integromat, when more than one record is returned in this way then every subsequent step is processed for each record.

Julian_Kirkness
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hi @Jocelyn_Robertson

Following your question, I decided to do another version of my blog post but using Integromat instead of Zapier. I hope you find it useful:

Jocelyn_Roberts
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thanks @Julian_Kirkness! I just used your resource to build the flow! Once again very helpful and easy to follow. I am now working on building a flow that will update my tasks if there is a date change to the original scheduled date.

Sarah_Choate
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’m also trying to move completely away from Trello. I use Airtable to keep track of applicants – their application is an Airtable form and from there, I keep all application materials in Airtable and track their overall status. However, I use Trello in this process as well because I can set up a card for each applicant that summarizes their basic info and provides a step-by-step checklist so I can clearly see what they have done/need to do. I would love it if there was a way to incorporate this into Airtable.

Bill_McCarvell
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Voting for the checklist field idea, I agree it would be very practical