Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Timeline grouping

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tuur
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hi there!

I’d like to be able to group different records on one horizontal line or near each other as opposed to random. It would be awesome if this would work automagically by using grouping in the view.

This way you would e.g. be able to create single rows for segmented phases (different colors) of individual projects. One project would always be one line (or group) in this example.

Right now if you have more than one project with multiple phases (multiple records starting & ending neatly after each other) the lines are plotted all over the place.

In short I’d love to able to influence the horizontal position of records somehow.

Best,

Arthur.

14 Comments
Heracles
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Timeline allows missing Start or End dates where Gantt does not, so we had to restructure our data a bit.
It is a valid workaround, but time line has better zoom in/out and click to drag that make it easier to use.

Sally_Duan
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’ve been scouring the interwebs for exactly this! I started off using a Gantt Chart before discovering the Timeline block. The Timeline blocks does almost everything I’m after for my project. I would love to have a “move up” “move down” functionality - just to be able to align Timeline events that correlate.

This was first requested two years ago. Any updates, Airtable team?

Keelan_Hostin
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Gantt feels like a great alternative, however, you lose color-coding when the group is not the source of coloring. If grouping by a task name, but color-coding by a category, collapsing the group loses the coloring.
Adding de-duping to the Timeline (realistically better than grouping and more appropriate) would be a very valuable addition.

Tuur
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

For anyone following this thread…