Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Wrap Text within column

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tech_Tylercivic
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

It would be helpful to be able to wrap text within a Formula, Single Line Text or a Long Text field if the column width on view is too small. (Rather than truncate the text)

79 Comments
Bruno_Faviero
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’m doing event planning right now, and horizontal density is much more important than vertical density. Some event notes on vendors would fit great on two lines for easy visibility.

W_Vann_Hall
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

There is a limited work-around to give you up to four lines of text display in kanban or gallery views that works well with roll-up fields; however, it does require either a manual step or Zapier integration to perform. In brief, you configure a roll-up field using ARRAYJOIN() as an aggregation function and the Unix linefeed character (\n) as separator. Then, you copy the column containing the roll-up field and paste it into a column containing a multi-line text field; when displayed as part of a kanban or gallery view, the first four lines (or, at least, the first XX characters of the first four lines) are displayed.

I’ve extracted the applicable pages from the Users Guide to my Wardrobe Manager base that describes how to set up the fields and perform the copy/paste. Again, it’s not a perfect solution, and it’s limited to four lines per field, but it might serve as a workaround for now.

Abram_Bailey
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I see this as a considerable issue. Please let me know if there is a fix.

Matt_Bush
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Announcement from the Airtable team: we are introducing beta of a new feature that lets you change the height of rows in a grid view.

You can configure each grid view to show 1, 2, 4, or 6 lines of wrapped text in its cells. With the additional height, we’ll also show larger attachment thumbnails, more linked records, and more multiple select options.

You can sign up for early access to the row height feature using our beta feature access form.

Robin_Travis

I have started using the beta of the row heights and it is really useful. Even if the row height is 2, we can now see the thumbnail of pictures of components on our stock view. On our CRM view, recent conversations logged in a notes entry show my summary of the most recent interaction.

Great addition @Matt_Bush and the airtable team!

Katherine_Duh
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hi everyone! As Matt mentioned above, we now have a row height feature (officially launched today!) that will allow you to adjust row height in grid views to display more text, larger images, more select field options, and more collaborator/linked record tokens.

zoomed-row-height-lq

Pick from one of four different row height settings to control the density of your records. Stick with the default short height to maximize the number of records you can see on your screen, or pick tall to see larger images and more text per each record.

Read more about it here. (If you can’t see the row height button, try refreshing the page.)

Alex_Armstrong

b0a81c4a6ce5e04725d5cdb2bd79fabf81993168.gif

Tech_Tylercivic
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Thank you very much for this feature!

CPC
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I second this. Title/Header wrapping to me is even more important than cell wrapping. Row height solves the cell wrapping issue but why has the header been ignored?

Michael_Weber
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This is a huge request from me as well. The ability to text wrap the Field name is very important. As many others have stated, sometimes you don’t need such a wide column - Checkbox, Dates and other short data entries would allow more fields to be included on the screen. We use Airtable to manage our real estate transactions and display the details to a flat screen to see an immediate visual of the current status of items.

PLEASE HELP US ALL BY ADDING THIS FEATURE…