Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Wrap Text within column

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tech_Tylercivic
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

It would be helpful to be able to wrap text within a Formula, Single Line Text or a Long Text field if the column width on view is too small. (Rather than truncate the text)

79 Comments
Polen
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

A bit late but … Row height is great, I’m loving it.

I would still like the column header wrapping to be considered and implemented. Quoting my very own post above Wrap Text within column you can see how I would have a difficult time figuring out what’s what by just seeing a column-type icon a letter or two and an ellipsis.

I would definitely love if you could consider my suggestion here Wrap Text within column or at least allow to remove the icon to maximize space for title characters.

John_Kranz
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’m in the same boat where I really would need AirTable to support manual line breaks in Grid View. I can’t reproduce a simple event sign-up sheet with multiple participants as shown below. The grouping feature just doesn’t help as it repeats the name of the sign-up.
2018-04-24_10-15-48

Bruno_Faviero
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I moved almost everything for my company off Airtable to notion.so because the lack of wrapped text made it insufferable.

One example – I have a few columns for recruiting. One of them is candidate feedback summary, which takes up a few lines. There’s no reason I can’t be able to look at that entire table without having to scroll, have one column take up a ridiculous width, or needing to click into the cells.

W_Vann_Hall
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

A little late, but also for anyone reading over my shoulder…

If your participants are being accessed as a lookup or rollup, you can enable line-wrapping in grid view by changing the field type to rollup (if it’s currently lookup) and use this as the aggregation function:

ARRAYJOIN(values,'\n')

You can also insert a hard return in the output of a formula field:

{Text1}&'\n'&{Text2}

Airtable will interpret the newline character in a formula or rollup field as a hard line break in grid views with a row height of 'Medium' or larger and the Page Designer Block. You can also copy the contents of a formula field containing newlines and paste them into a long text field, which will result in a multiline display in gallery or kanban views that wraps at newline.

In my Black Mirror and Win/Loss demo bases, I use this technique to create wrapping fields as input for the Page Designer Block. Alternatively, if you have a multi-entry field in which each entry is of a predictable length, you can often cause an acceptable wrap in a grid view with a multi-line row height by setting the field width appropriately, as shown in my Ingredients demo base.

Note the newline character doesn’t appear in grid cells with row height set to 'Short'; instead, Airtable displays a space. A grid view row height of 'Medium' results in the first two lines of text being displayed; 'Tall'displays four lines, and 'Extra-tall' shows six. (In the case of naturally wrapping — that is, without explicit newlines — linked records fields, the additional padding around links leads to fewer lines being display. 'Medium' still displays two lines, but 'Tall' is limited to three legible lines, 'Extra-tall' to five.)

Loic_VEILLARD
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This. The problem is for the people coming from ms excel. For example we have a new employee that kind of dislikes airtable just because she is not able to see the full text. Being able to check “wrap text” => for auto heigth columns would remove one of the custommer barriers you have @Katherine_Duh

Loic_VEILLARD
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This image explains pretty well the need @Katherine_Duh
Hope this can be added to the mid term roadmap. I tried to play with css to do it from our side but is kind of complicated haha but i’m sure this is a plus for the customers.

Thank you for your time and your awesome product :slightly_smiling_face:

Sergio_Alvarez
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I would like to add my vote for cell wrapping with dynamic row heights and/or column widths. I understand and agree Airtable’s design decisions for their default templates. However, wrapping does offer major benefits for custom views and it needs to be supported. As others mentioned, it really is one of the only few gripes I have with the software that prevents me from confidently selling the software to others.

Also, if wrapping and dynamic height/width does get implemented there should be various options for wrapping. Wrapping should be optional for a whole table, for specific rows or columns or even individual cells, etc.

Bruno_Faviero
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Similarly moved everything off Airtable because of the lack of wrapped cells. It makes it incredibly difficult to see multi-line text in a table in an efficient way (if one cell is a bit too long, I don’t want the row height feature to make half of my view white space…)

Anne_Asher
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Row height is helpful. It would be very helpful to also be able to wrap text in the column headers.

Dianne_Beaudet
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi kinda new to airtable,
Am I understanding that you can not do a hard return within a cell?
Thanks
Diane