Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Wrap Text within column

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Tech_Tylercivic
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

It would be helpful to be able to wrap text within a Formula, Single Line Text or a Long Text field if the column width on view is too small. (Rather than truncate the text)

79 Comments
paris_patton
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Iโ€™m weighing in on this pretty late.

Please add the capability, but donโ€™t lose the clean look of the main airtable. Make it a โ€œviewโ€ that you can set up (similar to gallery, etc)

Jonathan_Sapan
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Youโ€™re not wrong about this, but for my use case, I often need to see the full fields for every record in all their ugliness. Fixed height rows means that if I want to scan a comment field (which may be in paragraph form) over all my rows, Iโ€™d have to click on each oneโ€ฆ

Aaron_Verstraet
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

In short - Iโ€™m in support of text wrap :slightly_smiling_face:

Iโ€™m using this to track multiple activities in a given day. Using one row per day (ideal) means wrapped cells for the tracking.

Also, forcing all cells to be as wide as the widest entry to make long text fields usable seems rough use of real estate. As a product person I appreciate the aesthetics of consistent row heights, but question if it trumps the value for those who do care about longer text cells.

Lastly - if longer text fields are not amenable to your aesthetic, that feels like it will hinder your potential use cases.

Thanks for listening.

Howie
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Curious what your thoughts are re: the shift+spacebar workaround or a kanban/gallery view exposing multiline text on a card?

Aaron_Verstraet
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi Howie!
Thanks for the quick response.
I think I missed the kanban/gallery option. As for the shift + spacebar - the hard part is I have no idea which cells have more than one line or not. As I scan the doc, I would love to see the full context.

Howie
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

NP! We do have an ellipsis at the end of truncated cells: f7675db0f7e5d186d3e105d2c12b17b0ce4af4b2.png. Would that help?

Matt_Sayward
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

An option to turn off icons in the column headings would go a long way to be honest. Unless your account type is Creator, they donโ€™t really offer much value.

Haiyan_Khan
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

For example Im managing a project. One of the fields would be notes where we have bulleted them maybe 5 maybe 15 bullets for easy visual reference. They are not detailed tasks per se but a quick formatted reference. By having a mode/view where I could show the full text would be helpful.

Here is an example of a table in word/excel. It looks good cause it summarizes information visually.
PM WordExcel Format.png

Haiyan_Khan
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

And here is the same information as I manage it in Airtable. A lot more functionality for me, but this easy visualization is lost

PM WordExcel Airtable.png

Haiyan_Khan
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

And by adding ability to do rich text would be awesome too!