Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Wrap Text within column

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Tech_Tylercivic
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

It would be helpful to be able to wrap text within a Formula, Single Line Text or a Long Text field if the column width on view is too small. (Rather than truncate the text)

79 Comments
Speck_Kevin_Pra
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This, I think a limit on the number of wraps would likely solve the headache for most people while still keeping the design looking good.

Aaron_Owen
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Plus one for the option to allow column headings to be able to wrap or truncate. All of the reasons that are listed above, but mostly for the ability to have two word column names for single digit fields without wasting 30-40% of the screen real estate. Iโ€™ve got a 27" Apple Cinema Display and I can fit 14 columns, but most of my tables are >20. Iโ€™d be able to fit a lot of my tables on screen at once without having to hide columns if the column headers wrapped.

Ortwin_Freyermu
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I totally concur with Aaron on this. We are very impressed with the Airtable functionality but the waste of โ€œscreen real estateโ€ caused by non-wrapping column headers is annoying. Thank you for fixing this ASAP.

Andrew_Enright
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

Agreed, start with filed/column headers.

Seth_Familian
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@Airtable_Support @Airtable_Team can you please respond to this thread with thoughts on priority and timing for this feature? This is frankly the only limitation keeping me from using AirTable for a really big client.

Thanks!

Julie_Davis
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Please include this feature. I have to work in Numbers/Excel and then upload them once theyโ€™re done instead of working within airtable. Itโ€™s a basic spreadsheet tool and messes up the design for the user. Please respond. I am trying to introduce airtable to a client and that was a major roadblock for them being serious spreadsheet viewers. Thank you!

Brad_Johns
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I would add that the hide column drop down does not offer any respite from this as it neither stretches to accommodate long names or wraps text - opting instead to abbreviate a long column name only with an unhelpful โ€ฆ if it does not fit in the fixed width of the dialogue. This makes identifying and sorting columns very difficult, a must if they are prone to running off screen for width.

I am mostly on board with the decision to keep fixed row heights in grid-view records, long text field types,card views and expanded records soften all of that, but the options are only two with long field titles, stretch the row or use short names.

one noteโ€ฆ
If adding width responsiveness or text wrapping to the hide fields drop-down is unpalatable, how about just a tool-tip?

julia_Smith
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I agree with other posts on this thread. My company would benefit greatly from using a wrap text feature. I would like to see an overview of the cell at a quick glance, without having to click into each cell to expand. Thatโ€™s a waste of time in my opinion. And, without clicking into each cell, sometimes itโ€™s hard to know if there is more info in a cell or notโ€ฆ so info may be missed, which is upsetting.

Although, I like the option to expand the cells, for other reasons, I would like to have the option to wrap the text in each cell as well. I think it should be a userโ€™s choice.

Jessica_Getty
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I would love text wrap in cells. Personally I find Airtable very annoying without this feature. I want to see everything at a quick glance. Instead I have to click to see it or make the entire column wide when only 1 cell in the whole column has more in it. Itโ€™s hard to recommend Airtable to others with this missing.

Matthew_Frerich
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Please include this feature! I have column headers that require a bit of text. We are tired of having to constantly scroll horizontally to view the desired cell.