1067 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tim_Dietrich
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I recently redesigned one of my personal Web sites - an art portfolio - using an Airtable base on the backend. If you’re interested, you can check it out here: http://art.timdietrich.me

The site is PHP-based. It pulls all of the artwork (including the information about each piece and the images themselves) from the Airtable base via the Airtable API. It also uses Stripe to handle credit card payments, and saves the orders back to the Airtable base. And for email notifications and receipts, it uses Mandrill.

More information is available on my blog: http://timdietrich.me/blog/airtable-based-art-portfolio-site-launched/

Thanks for checking it out - and let me know if you have any questions about it.

– Tim

7 Replies 7
Ken
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

This is really cool, Tim.
What are your candid impression of using the Airtable API for use as a simple backend?

Tim_Dietrich
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thanks Ken!

I’ve found Airtable to be a nice alternative as a backend to basic Web sites. I’m using it as a CMS for a few Web sites now, both for my own use and for a few clients.

Airtable’s ease-of-use, flexibilty, low cost, and powerful API make it ideal as a backend for basic sites. I’ve also found that Airtable makes it very easy to publish images, documents, and so on.

If you have any questions about how I’m using Airtable, please let me know. I would be happy to share my thoughts and experiences - and I’d love to hear how you are using it, too.

~ Tim

Renee_Jacobs
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Tim, does Airtable allow a grid/contact sheet sort of view like you have on your site?

Renee –

Unfortunately, no - Airtable doesn’t support the grid-like format that I’m using on my site. I’ve used the Airtable API to display the artwork in that manner.

~ Tim

Are you reading the JSON from the API and processing it in PHP, or are you using something on the client-side?

Felicia_D_Ascan
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Looks like the first link is coming up with “Error: 28”

Moe
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

We’ve built a gallery extension that would fit nicely in a portfolio website. It has a transparent background when it’s embedded and it adjusts its height automatically.