Help

Welcome to the Airtable Community! If you're new here, check out our Getting Started area to get the most out of your community experience.

'Black Mirror' base in Airtable Universe

1580 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi!

A little while ago, I pulled information from a baker’s dozen rankings of episodes from the first four seasons of Black Mirror, Charlie Brooker’s dystopian look at technology and society, produced originally by Channel 4 and later by Netflix. I had been amused by there being general critical consensus as to the series’ high quality but absolutely no agreement as to the merit of individual episodes. I thought by gathering the data into one base and subjecting them to various analyses I might be able to identify trends or commonalities not apparent at first glance.

Nope: They don’t exist — or, if they do, they are still too subtle for my ham-handed processes to identify. Accordingly, I followed the time-honored tradition of less-than-scrupulous researchers everywhere: If the data are inconclusive, change the goals. I had been looking for a project with which to test Airtables new Blocks feature, still in beta test at the time. If I couldn’t use Airtable to identify previously hidden patterns and trends in the critical response to Black Mirror, could I instead use it to quantify and illustrate just how divergent the critics had been?

The results can now be found in Airtable Universe. In it, I use a variety of [primarily] Chart and Page Designer Blocks (some in ways they weren’t intended to be used) to illustrate different characteristics of the data, linked with Description Blocks to provide a narrative. I’ve attached a few screen shots below to give you an idea of what’s inside.

shot6

shot5

shot1

shot4

shot2

shot3

0 Replies 0