Hierarchical views?

Is there a method to display a hierarchical view of records?

For instance, in a table of items, I may have a field for name and sub_item_of link to another item.

name___________       sub_item_of_______
car
wheel                 car
rim                   wheel
tire                  wheel
windshield            car
transmission          car
bicycle
banana seat           bicycle

I’d like to see a view where I can order by name and have each sub item fall under that name, and each sub-sub item fall under the name of its item.

Alternatively, can a parent item’s expanded view contain a list of all items that are sub_items, as well as showing the complete hierarchy?

(Forum) 'Bump' button for (seemingly) inactive feature requests? Status indicator?
Linked record continuity issues; view modes, grouping options

SQL joins would make this very easy. I’d love to see that functionality.

Is there any activity on this feature?
This is why I came here.

You are talking here about self joins I assume - you can set this up but cant really do anything with it - with no ability to Lookup values across this type of join. Self joins are quite common so it would be great to see some way of dealing with this.

To elaborate a bit, perhaps:

I also need this, very much. I’m modeling a very stratified organization that has 4-7 levels of groups and people that report to one another.

Of course, it could be argued that a graph DB (Neo4J, etc.) is much more suited for this purpose but I really/REALLY like the web interface in Airtable.