Help

How do I add a set number of days to a date?

Topic Labels: Views
32799 35
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kyle_Groger
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi,

I’m using Airtable to manage my library. I was hoping I could use it to automatically calculate the due date based on the date I loaned the book out. For example, if I loaned the book on the 5th of October, I want to add 14 days and have a column saying 19 October for due date.

How do I do this?

Regards

35 Replies 35

Hi Kyle

You can create a formula field as follows:

DATEADD({Date 1}, 10, ‘days’)

(Where {Date 1} is the field to which you are adding the 10 days.

Note that this always results in a date formatted in US format (with the month first). If you want to format the date to suit your local taste the you can use something like:

DATETIME_FORMAT(DATEADD({Date 1}, 10, ‘days’), “DD-MM-YYYY”)

More information is in the Formula Field reference section in Help.

Another important note is that the result is a Text value rather than a date and so can’t be used to display things on a calendar View. [Airtable - it would be great to be able to specify a type for a formula field!].

Julian

Kyle_Groger
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thank you! It worked for me

Kyle/Julian
I’m looking for a WORKDATE or similar function in airbase. I need to program in a TARGET DUE DATE for each client upon receipt of application to set their expectation. I did this using DATEADD function - worked great, but …

TARGET DUE DATE results are falling on Weekends and Holidays.
:frowning:

Any suggestions for functions or workarounds?

@Airtable_Support: Adding WORKDATE or similar function(s) will have huge appeal to anyone in project management (which lately seems to be everyone - one way or another)

Hi @Ray_Williams

This is still possible without a Workdate function - it’s a matter of using If and Weekday() to determine which day of the week we are on and then adding the appropriate number of days. The example below adds two workdays to an entered date, for example:

IF(WEEKDAY({Date 1}) > 3, DATEADD({Date 1}, 4, ‘days’),IF(WEEKDAY({Date 1}) = 0, DATEADD({Date 1}, 3, ‘days’),DATEADD({Date 1}, 2, ‘days’)))

Note - WEEKDAY returns a 0 for Sunday up to a 6 on Saturday. So, this formula adds 4 days for a start date on Thursday, Friday or Saturday, 3 Days on a Sunday and 2 days on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.

Note this returns an American date format an if you want something else you can apply the formatting described above.

Hope this helps.

Julian

Thanks Julian that’ll work!

@Julian_Kirkness

I’m thinking the formula you offered works if the number of work days being added crosses only 1 weekend. For each additional weekend crossed, the calculated date is 2 days less than what it should be. Any ideas?

Thanks
Phil

Hi @Phil_Lauer - you are quite correct, the formula for any number of days added would be slightly different and require a modified formula - but structurally the formulae would be similar and would just need to account for the different additions for different starting days (Date 1). There are some simple cases as well - for example to add 5 working days you would always add 7 days - as with any multiple of 5 actually.

Caitlin_Davies
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi guys!

I have a datefield that I want to add to a number, which is another field that’s automatically populated from another table. For instance:

Date of Planting: 6/1/2017
Days to Maturity: 75

I want to add Planting + Maturity, but DATEADD doesn’t seem to allow an input other than an integer in the COUNT section. I.e., I want to do this;

DATEADD({Date of Planting},{Days to Maturity},‘days’)

With an output of ‘08/15/2017’

But it’s not working!!! I can do this function very easily in Excel, please help!!!

Thank you! :slightly_smiling_face:

From your description, it sounds like the {Days to Maturity} field is a Lookup of a number field.

Because Lookups can contain multiple linked values, in formulas they’re represented as an array. Sometimes Airtable’s formula engine will automatically recognize and convert these arrays, but in other cases like DATEADD you have to manually convert from an array to a single value. ARRAYJOIN will convert from an array to text, and VALUE will convert from text to number.

Try this modification:
DATEADD({Date of Planting},VALUE(ARRAYJOIN({Days to Maturity})),'days')

Caitlin_Davies
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Matt Bush, you are my hero! :heart_eyes: Thanks for the help, that worked perfectly!!

Molly_Leaf
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Any updates on if they’ve added a workday function? I’m hoping to use for project management in calculating deadlines automatically.

Valerie_Miles
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Plus 1 for this feature. Real Estate contracts- I need to add a certain number of days to a date, and they cannot END on a weekend or holiday. There can be weekends and holidays in the middle, but it cannot end on one. Would be huge for me, and the millions of people (lender/title/escrow/realtors) in the industry.

Conversely, I also need to be able to subtract a certain number of days from the end date. Should be easy once the above is implemented.

Zach_Felsenstei
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Happy to share that we now have a WORKDAY() function!

The format is WORKDAY(startDate, numDays, [holidays]) and it returns a date that is numDays working days after startDate. Working days automatically exclude weekends, and you can include an an optional list of holidays as a comma-separated string of ISO-formatted dates, e.g.

WORKDAY({Launch date}, 100, '2017-09-04, 2017-10-09, 2017-11-10')

@Valerie_Miles
For real estate contracts, you should now be able to use a formula similar to this:

WORKDAY(DATEADD({Input Date},{Days to Add or Subtract}-1,'days'),1,'2017-09-04')

Let me know if this works!

Jordan_McNamara
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’m new to AirTable and trying to create a formula for start date. We have a date field for due date and a number field for lead time. I’d like to create a formula that takes the due date subtracts the number of lead time days to give us a start date. Any help would be appreciated.

Pretty much just as you describe it:

DATEADD({Due Date},-{Lead Time},'day')

If you need business day, try

WORKDAY({Due Date},-{Lead},[optional list of holidays])

hi julian!
this is exactly my problem: i have a start date and the due date is calculated with dateadd. but in calendar view it’s impossible to set the ‘end date field’ based on those fields. do you know of a workaround? thanks!

I’ve just successfully set up a calendar view with an entered field and a formula field and it worked fine - you do have to format the formula field though.

Sharon_L
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@Julian_Kirkness and @Matt_Bush
I am trying to set up a project and want to use duration (instead of “date”) as a field to set up the schedule. Right now I am manually entering “due date” and then have a formulation for duration days as reference, but I’d like to have it vice versa- where I enter the duration days and the due date will be populated. Is there any way I can do that?

Also, Is there any field where I can link each different tasks as predecessors- such as certain task B cannot start until task A is complete. Any feedback or input you can provide is highly appreciated!

I’m looking for the same thing. My company, a wholesale greenhouse uses “crop times” to calculate ship dates in our production system. I want to set up a similar system for my home garden. A planting date + a crop time (a number of days) = a projected harvest date. This would be pretty handy. In our database at work the dates get converted to week numbers so it is easier to calculate. I might just do a similar solution so I can just do it with integers.