353 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MDB
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I'm pasting a single-line text field ("Whisky Name") into a linked field ("Link to Summary Page"), and it used to paste all the names across into the linked field. The action was that if a name matched with an existing one, it linked it to the existing one and if it didn't, it created a new line in the summary table.

When I pasted all the single-line texts across, it matched the existing ones and left all the ones that would be 'new' items blank. I know this because if I manually select the link cell, type in the name (nothing shows up), and 'click create a new record' it works. In that case, if I have a duplicate further down and I try the copy-and-paste method, it works because it now has a match.

Has something changed?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Renatto_Andrade
5 - Automation Enthusiast

If you change the primary field of your linked table to be a single line text type, then this should work no problem. Really any editable type for the primary field will work, provided you're pasting in correctly formatted data. Formula and Autonumber types won't work for this.

See Solution in Thread

3 Replies 3

Just tested this and it creates records fine for me.  Is the primary field of your linked table a formula field?  That will prevent new records from being created with this method

MDB
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yes, the primary field of the linked table was a formula field.

I converted it to the auto number field and tried again, and still no luck.

Renatto_Andrade

If you change the primary field of your linked table to be a single line text type, then this should work no problem. Really any editable type for the primary field will work, provided you're pasting in correctly formatted data. Formula and Autonumber types won't work for this.