cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lisa_Altizer
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Greetings,

I have an Airtable field titled: Course Status and to the right of that field is Total Enrollment. In my Excel spreadsheet version, I used a vlookup to return the value of ‘course status’

The formula: =VLOOKUP([@Enrolled],Table30,2,FALSE)

Table30
0-2 enrolled = On Standby
3-9 enrolled = Low Enrollment
10-28 = Will Make!

Is there a way to accomplish this in Airtable?

Thanks in advance for your support!

Lisa

32 Replies 32
Emilio_Lopez_Ro
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Have you tried using a lookup field? It should work perfectly for what you want to do.

I also have this problem and it’s not at all clear how to use Lookup to accomplish this.

You might want to take a look at this post.

Hi,

This was something that I was looking for as well as I needed to do quite a bit of matching between my tables - that were previously using VLOOKUP in Excel. This did not seem to be possible with regular Airtable functions (and I tried a lot of crazy stuff), so I started looking into the Scripting block.
This actually allowed me to make a perfect solution. OK, almost perfect, you still need to change the name of tables and columns manually in the code, but with comments below this should be fairly straight forward.

I have also made a quick video about it:

I hope that helps!

Onur
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Continuing the discussion from Vlookup for Airtable?: - This is awesome - exactly what I was looking for. One thing though:
How I can look up if the lookupValue is in a lookup field? (or a formula field that links to another field).
It seems like the cell has no value and therefore the whole lookup runs into nothing.
A way by e.g. extending the code above so that it might solve this, also?
Solution to this is highly appreciated -
Thank you

Onur
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Another question: how could you define a fallback value (could be a static one “not matched!”) in case that there was no match with the values in the lookup table?

I think both cases can be solved with help of "if"conditions. First one checking if the original column/field is empty (in case you have many empty values there). Second case already has a condition that executed when value is found, so it needs to be completed with else statement to execute action if case of not matching values.

Something like this:

Here is a link to a sample base with examples:

It should be possible to see the code of blocks once you copy the base (let me know otherwise).

Here is also description of the process on Medium (non-paywalled link)
https://medium.com/@greg.business.automated/vlookup-in-airtable-for-tables-without-existing-links

Onur
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi, - this is great & solves the setting of the “else” value!
The first check if not empty => basically does only what is says (gatekeeper for valid values) - but it does not solve the target:
use the value in the fields to look up.

Or maybe its me having a bug?:
=> Use outcome in formula field in another formula field