Launched: button field 🔘

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Katherine_Duh
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

The button field is now available for all users! Use it to trigger custom actions for a record—like scheduling calendar events, sending emails, creating custom invoices, generating reports, running scripts, finding stock images, or even opening other Airtable links.

Open URL-Send email

run-script-add-line-item

For more information on the button field and how you can use it, check out our launch blog post:

We’re especially excited about the potential applications of the run script action for button field, which is why we’re holding a scripting contest in our community forums themed all around scripts that take advant.... The contest winner will win $1,000! All submissions are due by Friday, July 3, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. PDT .

https://community.airtable.com/t/scripting-contest-using-newly-launched-button-field/31386

15 Comments
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Pretty awesome! I’ve already implemented this into a client’s Airtable database this morning — they just click on the button and that record shows up in the Page Designer Block.

Jarvis
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

@Katherine_Duh will we be able to run actions similar to the ‘batch’ block, but only for that particular record, using the button field?

Stephen_Suen
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the suggestion @Jarvis! We’re still exploring which blocks we want to add button field support for next. Anyone should feel free to leave more ideas in this thread, along with your use cases — this will help us prioritize suggestions.

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

I would love to be able to click on a button for a record, and have the Page Designer block generate a PDF file for that record, and then attach that PDF to an outgoing email in Apple Mail which is pre-addressed to the email address in my email field.

You can only do this now if you manually go through each & every step on your own.

Pedro_Miszewski
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Any way to avoid the blocks side bar from opening after clicking on a button and running a script?
I just want to add new records whenever the button is pressed

Benjamin_C
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Buttons are awesome :star_struck:
I’d like to see now a conditionnal button feature ! I’m sure you can do it :winking_face:
Show a button when [AND|OR conditions] !

egordin
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Agreed, or at least allow the label to be a lookup value from a field, so that it could be blank if a criterion is met

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

We also really need the button field to be able to manually trigger an automation. Or at the very least, run a script without popping open the Apps sidebar.

Marko_Petrovic
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Ruining automation with button press would be really, really nice :slightly_smiling_face:

Also as @ScottWorld said runing script in “background” is another really useful option

Florian_Verdon2
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hello @egordin & @Benjamin_C :wave:t3:

I use a simple IF statement in the formula to check if the action is possible on the record or not. (possible when using an “URL” action.

As an example, when trying to open the corresponding Google Drive folder :
IF(GDrive_folder_id,"https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/" & GDrive_folder_id, "")

This enables you to “disable” the button like this :
Capture d’écran 2020-10-13 à 12.22.11

Florian