New: List View

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ayesha_Bose
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hello! I’m Ayesha, a Product Manager here at Airtable. We’re so excited to share List View with you — a new view with you that helps you visualize the hierarchy of records across multiple tables:

Ayesha_Bose_0-1675788564901.png

What is List View?

List View is a new view type that makes it easy to create, edit, and manage hierarchical data —whether its projects and tasks, campaigns and deliverables, or a product roadmap and features —all within Airtable. 

List View is built for creating and managing simple or complex projects, whether a user is looking to manage a single product roadmap or marketing campaign, build company-wide OKRs, or even manage the episode production of a TV show’s season. 

Projects typically have a number of tasks, and with List View, you can easily organize those tasks based on importance, urgency, deadline, status, or another category.

This is the only view where you can see multiple fields across different tables at once.

Ayesha_Bose_1-1675788564845.png

How can I create a List View?

You can create this view in the Data tab from the bottom left, where you can create other Views like Calendar, Gallery, etc. In Interfaces, you can add a List element to your pages.

What are the key features of List View?

• You can use this view to visualize hierarchy across tables.
  • Customize your rows to bring in all of the different fields across tables that you need to see:

Ayesha_Bose_2-1675788564857.png

• There are four levels of hierarchy that we support in List view today. We support three tables and the last level can include a linked record within the table to show nested records:

Ayesha_Bose_3-1675788564862.png

• You can prefix an existing checkbox field from your schema to show an intuitive way to check off your records:

Ayesha_Bose_4-1675788564874.png

Other questions?

You can check out our support article here.

We’re looking forward to hearing what you think, please let us know if you have any questions.
This update is available now. If you aren’t seeing these changes reflected, please try clearing your cache.

37 Comments
Kiersten_Kollin
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi ! This is awesome! 

One call out we are wondering about is are we not able to share list views through embed code or a shared link? I see this as a missed opportunity since we can do that with the other views. We heavily use the shared links.

Thank you!

Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Is there a roadmap for bringing the List View to the mobile device app? I'm really, really wanting to finally replace OneNote lists on mobile devices, and Airtable has the potential to achieve this, thanks to the new List View.

Rui_Chen1
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Pretty cool and useful for something we're building (we've replicated a checklist using a table.) Can't seem to get it working with interfaces though when data is selected from a list view. Says it cannot be used in this context. So would love to have that be supported in the future!

Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Also, was hoping that the Parent/Child tables could be linked via a Lookup Field, but at this stage only Link Fields are supported. Could we please have Lookup Fields also supported?

Karlstens_0-1675806636516.png

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

@Ayesha_Bose It would be way more preferable if all linked record fields allowed hierarchies (regardless of the view), instead of requiring an entirely separate view to gain this functionality. If you look at 3rd-party apps like On2Air Forms or MiniExtensions, they give the flexibility to have hierarchies anywhere on the screen & anywhere you have a linked record field.

Samantha5
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@Ayesha_Bose Thank you for building this!! I often avoided Grid View interfaces because they felt too clunky. List view fixes this! 😃

I'm not able to do one thing with list view though.

I want the buttons I set up in my database record to be clickable in a view-only List interface. Currently, they look like buttons in the List interface, but you can't actually click on them.

Jack_Manuel
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

This looks interesting, thanks! Off the bat I'm wondering if there's plans to add record colours? Also, would really appreciate some more advance warning of new features like this. I don't know what this would look like, maybe an opt-in mailing list? As the admin for a few users, I'd feel a lot more comfortable having a slight heads-up that everyone will suddenly get access to something I've not even seen yet.

Jack_Manuel
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Another couple of comments:

- On "Tall" and "Extra Tall" row heights, the first field of a level 1 record is aligned to the centre, vertically, whilst the subsequent records are aligned to the top/start

- The "Level 1", "Level 2", "Level 3" labelling feels backwards to me (aware this is just preference but Level 1 feels like it should be the top level). 

- List view makes the inability to add custom record labels even more glaring in its absence. First use case has 2 out of the three labels I need, which means I can't really use any

- The first two use cases I tried, really require 4 levels. Is this limitation expected to be temporary?

- This is kind of an old one but the list view is just another example of why it's needed; not being able to create linked records in an interface immediately disqualifies me from using the list view in the first two use cases I thought of

Hope this is received as it's intended, this could be a great addition to the toolset but just needs a little tweaking I think

Nick_Berg
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I like the direction this is going, but for most of my setups it feels backwards since I work within the parent table to view children, so if I want to view a project's tasks I look from where the projects are listed. Unfortunately I'd need to push users to view from the lowest level - the task list - which would mean reshare and rebuild some things which isn't worth the effort. I could technically move tasks into the same table as projects and label them differently, but then I'd lose the benefit of multi-table hierarchy.

I love the idea in theory, but in practice it's hard to justify using it for anything existing since it feels backwards. This might just be my specific use case though.

Tristan-ARG
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Its looks great!! very useful to make a to do list across many proyects