New: List View

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ayesha_Bose
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hello! I’m Ayesha, a Product Manager here at Airtable. We’re so excited to share List View with you — a new view with you that helps you visualize the hierarchy of records across multiple tables:

Ayesha_Bose_0-1675788564901.png

What is List View?

List View is a new view type that makes it easy to create, edit, and manage hierarchical data —whether its projects and tasks, campaigns and deliverables, or a product roadmap and features —all within Airtable. 

List View is built for creating and managing simple or complex projects, whether a user is looking to manage a single product roadmap or marketing campaign, build company-wide OKRs, or even manage the episode production of a TV show’s season. 

Projects typically have a number of tasks, and with List View, you can easily organize those tasks based on importance, urgency, deadline, status, or another category.

This is the only view where you can see multiple fields across different tables at once.

Ayesha_Bose_1-1675788564845.png

How can I create a List View?

You can create this view in the Data tab from the bottom left, where you can create other Views like Calendar, Gallery, etc. In Interfaces, you can add a List element to your pages.

What are the key features of List View?

• You can use this view to visualize hierarchy across tables.
  • Customize your rows to bring in all of the different fields across tables that you need to see:

Ayesha_Bose_2-1675788564857.png

• There are four levels of hierarchy that we support in List view today. We support three tables and the last level can include a linked record within the table to show nested records:

Ayesha_Bose_3-1675788564862.png

• You can prefix an existing checkbox field from your schema to show an intuitive way to check off your records:

Ayesha_Bose_4-1675788564874.png

Other questions?

You can check out our support article here.

We’re looking forward to hearing what you think, please let us know if you have any questions.
This update is available now. If you aren’t seeing these changes reflected, please try clearing your cache.

37 Comments
Comercial_Tesal
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I was waintg for this feature to write my company standard operating procedures (SOP), but the result It doesn't have a good looking at all. 

- Level 3 font is too big to my taste

- Manual sorting doesn't work

- "+Add subtask" button is annoying, it just look bad

- You can't see second levels field content with out expanding it (see picture below)

So, in general terms, it looks so uggly and messy that it is still not usefull for me . It thing this view have a great potencial to make a company SOP. But not yet.

Comercial_Tesal_0-1678898627669.png

Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

@Ayesha_Bose- further feedback for list views, in particular the "Select a Row Height" option. This setting needs to be particular/configurable for each of the Lists "Levels", but currently it unfortunately applies awkwardly to the entire list, one height for all levels - which doesn't really make much sense.

The screenshot below shows my typical usage of 3 tables, Project - Task - SubTask layout, where the List View has been created at the Sub Task table.

Within that list view, I'm needing a Tall setting to show as much Sub-Task detail as possible, whilst at the same time I'm needing a Short setting to be applied to both the Project and the Task levels.

Having a generic "Tall" setting just leads to too much unnecessary white space everywhere.

Karlstens_0-1679526453254.png

Further to this, and importantly, a new dynamic size option need be considered - which would allow a Sub-Task long Text Field of any length to be 100% displayed within a dynamic height, regardless of character length/count. All text would be always readable with such a dynamic height setting enabled.

Katy_Richards

This looks great! It would be even better if the Allow users to edit and create records were separate. I'd like for my users to edit records but not create new ones.

soheilmomeni
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

is it possible to share list view ?

Londya_E

Hello @Ayesha_Bose ,

I already submitted a bug report via support, but I also wanted to comment here in case I can get some help with this faster. Plus this comment has bit more information, because since submitting my original list view request, I did some more playing around and realized what might be the issue.

When creating my interface I was able to create a 3-level list view page perfectly, then all of sudden I just kept getting an error page.
interface list view.png

I then created a record summary page and added a list view element with the same exact set up as the list-view page and it just produced the same error page. 

interface record summary page - list view element.png

Then later on, I remembered I had set up a similar list view in the base, but with only 2 levels - key results and tasks (with a subtask lower level - subtasks are in the same table as tasks, they are linked to the same table to create subtasks). I only started having issues when I  realized I actually created 3 levels (objectives, key results, & tasks w/ subtasks) in the interface. So I went back to the base list view to see if added a 3rd level would mess it up and sure enough, I was right. The same error message popped up. The problem lies in adding the 3rd level. I hope this helps in getting that bug fixed faster. Thanks.

Also there is bug in the grid view, not sure why that isn't working. It was working when I originally set it up. Same error page...

interface grid view.png

MoodyBiscuit

Adding my support for a shared view function for lists!

ezrashir
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Great but it kind of misses the point if you can't embed it to an external website 😕