Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

Re: Automate sending an event invite (or attached.ics file) when record created and collaborators ad

821 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joel_Burman
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Use case:

• Within an table (called ‘Meetings’) user creates a new record (i.e. a meeting)
  • User adds date/time, text description, attendees (collaborator field), videoconference link (link field), etc.
  • Automation sends a invite to each attendees email address (from collaborator field) as an email with .ics attached or alternatively as an MS Outlook Invite.
  • NB. this is not the same as much of the functionality which just creates a record in a user’s calendar - as this doesn’t provide sufficient notification/visibility to the attendee that they’ve been added to a meeting. They need to receive an email - which can then create an event in their calendar.

I can send an email from a record easily, but making this an invite/event or adding an ics had eluded me. Any suggestions welcome?

6 Replies 6
Thomas_Gourmelo
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Any idea for this feature ?

Put the file in an attachment field and send the attachment to the record as a attachment to the email.

GalacticRainbow
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello! I am wondering if you figured out a way to do this? Thanks 😄

Andreanne_St-Ge
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi there ! Has any solution have been find for this? I see a reply from @kuovonne, but I unfortunately don't understand how one would do what you suggested.

I have the exact same issue as @Joel_Burman. If ever you found a way to do it since you posted this, please let me know ! 🙂

Thanks y'all !

An ics file is a plain text file in a specific format. You can use a service to create a plain text file in the ics format, upload that file to an attachment field, and then email the attachment. Or if you have some other service that will generate the ics file, upload that file to an attachment field, and then email the attachment.

However, creating the .ics file can be a bit of a pain. In general, it is probably much easier if you use an integration with a third party meeting service that will generate the emails for you. For example, Calendly can generate meeting invites and you can integrate Calendly with Airtable using Make.com.

Gather
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

@kuovonne do you know if there's any way to change the MIME type of emails being sent via an AT automation? Maybe something like make or zapier would be a better approach so long as you have a valid ICS file to attach to the invite record