Help

Automatically maintain records in Table B mirroring some data from records in Table B (plus some)?

Topic Labels: Automations Base design
394 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Doug_Grauel
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I have a "main" table, call it A.  It holds client names.  I have a second table, call it "B."  It will hold deadlines.  For every A record, i.e. client, Table B should have one corresponding record where a lookup field (call it "Name") populates with the "Name" field in Table A.  Then Table B holds deadlines specific to each "carried over" or "mirrored" record from Table A. 

It should be that when a record is created in A, a corresponding record (assuming auto-number-generated?) would be created in B, with the name lookup from A.  Then deadlines get logged in Table B, and an interface created to allow viewing of deadlines and other things from various other tables for the various clients in Table A. But Table A is the master table.

The aim is to have sensible table size (one giant table with every imaginable deadline would be unwieldy) but not have to manually create Table B Deadline records for every Name/Client in Table A.

Many thanks for any help!

1 Reply 1
JordanCopestake

Hey Doug, 
It's not possible to use the 'Link to another record' field type for your primary field. It sounds like you want the primary record to be the same on both tables, which is a clue that hosting all the information in one Table would work. 
Appreciate it could get unwieldy... Putting deadlines into Table A but utilising refined Views might be a better fit for your use case, to trim the noise and target the information you need to view in one place. You could quickly set up additional deadline views from your MASTER view that could then be used for your interfaces 💡