Help

Re: Automatically populate the values of other fields after selecting a value in a particular field

582 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dorrie
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on designing a maintenance form for my clients.

The maintenance form looks something like this, very simple.

Dorrie_0-1677835927916.png

But how can I automatically populate the values of other fields after selecting a value in a particular field?

For example, if I choose "Assignee A" from the Assignee field can I automatically fill in the Facility and Equipment Type that are assigned to Assignee A? 

In concept, I will create a table that associates an Assignee with the Facilities and Equipment Types they are responsible for. The person filling out the maintenance form will only need to select the Assignee, and the system will automatically populate the other information.

Thank you for your kindly supports!

3 Replies 3

Ah, so if a user selects "Assignee A", then the user can only select from say, Facility 1 and 2, and Equipment Type A and B

Whereas if a user selects "Assignee B", then they can only select Facility 1 and Equipment C and D?

If so, I'm afraid Airtable forms doesn't support this functionality and you'll need to look for another service to help with this

Dorrie

Hi Adam,

Thank you for your response!

What I mean is that the person filling out the form only needs to select an Assignee, and the system will automatically populate the Facility and Equipment that this Assignee is responsible for into the form. This can avoid the person filling out the form repeatedly entering certain information.

So my idea is, is it possible to create a separate data table for the Facilities and Equipment associated with each Assignee? When filling out the form, the person only needs to select an Assignee, and the system will automatically populate the Facility and Equipment that the Assignee is responsible for.

For example, the data table may look like this:

So if the person filling out the form choose Brian as the assignee, then the field Facility & Equipment in the form will be automatically filled in with the information Building A and generation equipment.

AssigneeFacilityEquipment
BrianBuilding Ageneration euipment
MichaelBuilding Bgeneration euipment
JustinBuilding Anetwork

Ah I see.  No, that's not possible I'm afraid.

If each person is assigned to one piece of equipment from one facility, why not just make a dropdown list with the options being the following?
`[Assignee] - [Facility] - [Equipment]`

So you'd end up with a dropdown of:

Brian - Building A - Generation Equipment
Michael - Building B - Generation Equipment
Justin - Building A - Networking

And if you needed each of those pieces of data in separate fields you could use an automation to do that for you?