cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brien_John
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi,

I have a to-do list table that I want to share a view of it with a collaborator so that she can add her own tasks and create a new, bigger table for a project that both of us are working on.

This is how I do it:

First, I created a new base where I added her as a collaborator. In this base, I created a synced table from my own to-do list table. To merge with her tasks, I created a project table in the same base and created an automation (when a record is created in the synced table, create a record with all the fields in the project table). This works well.

Secondly, I want it to update records in the project table whenever the to-do list table is updated. However, it seems that I’m not able to find Record IDs for the automation to update records. I know how to create a field containing record IDs in the synced table and make them appear in the project table, but not the other way around.

I created an invite link here so you can see what I’ve done.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hmm, what if you tried:
1. Create a linked field between the Project table and the Synced table
2. In the automation that creates a record in the Project table, update it so that it also links the two records together
3. In your automation that updates the Project table when the Synced table is update, use the record ID from the linked field for your Update Record action

See Solution in Thread

4 Replies 4

You'll need to make a "Find Record" step. Put in some dynamic conditions to find the specific record in the other table you'd want to update. The trick would be to make sure it only comes up with ONE found record. Otherwise, the update record step will fail as it can only update one record.

However, if you DO want it to update multiple records, you can set it up as a repeating step.

Justin Ng
Programme Coordinator at Sistema Aotearoa
https://www.sistemaaotearoa.org.nz/

I’m not sure if it can be done this way. The records that I want to update are all those updated in the synced table. I don’t think I can spot them by using the find records action… ?

Hmm, what if you tried:
1. Create a linked field between the Project table and the Synced table
2. In the automation that creates a record in the Project table, update it so that it also links the two records together
3. In your automation that updates the Project table when the Synced table is update, use the record ID from the linked field for your Update Record action

Thank you! It works.

So based on your solution, I created a lookup field in the synced table to get the record ID from the project table. Now the two tables are connected perfectly.