Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

Automation Conditional logic - "AND" rather than "otherwise"?

Topic Labels: Automations
701 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oreocereus
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I have a record that triggers the creation of up to 3 records. It may need to create any combination of those 3 (which is 7 possible combinations), which is proving convoluted with the options I know of with the automation options.

1) Have 3 different automations with the same trigger for each of the 3 records that might need to be created - i.e. automation 1 creates record a (if required), automation 2 creates record b (if required), automation 3 creates record c (if required). 

2) Create 1 automation with the 7 different combinations as conditional actions. This is the set up I have now.

Option 1 is wasteful of automation runs and automation spaces for our plan.

Option 2 is convoluted and time consuming to set up. 

It seems like there should be a more elegant way to do this? I'd like to know for future automations I may need to create, especially if they get more complex (each extra possible record to be created very quickly makes huge amounts of possible combinations).

Ideally, there'd be a way to toggle the automation conditional logic from "otherwise" so I don't need to create a condition for each possible scenario, and would rather have a single trigger that follows each of the conditions (i.e. if condition 1 is true, still check for conditions 2 and 3).

Is there something obvious I'm missing in terms of a more elegant solution?

4 Replies 4
oreocereus
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

To illustrate the convolutedness of the setup:

oreocereus_0-1719480573465.pngoreocereus_1-1719480612764.pngoreocereus_2-1719480632500.png

Yeah, I end up doing Option 2 a lot, and once I hit a certain number of conditions / actions the page becomes really laggy and hard to deal with too sigh.  I, too, would like to know if there's a better solution

Yep, was super duper laggy for this one. Thought that was unique to me.

I addressed this in another one of your posts, but I wanted to add this information here to help other people in the future who might stumble upon this thread.

This issue is natively solved by usinMake’s advanced automations for Airtable, which offers unlimited conditional paths (including “AND” paths).

If you’ve never used Make before, I’ve assembled a bunch of Make training resources in this thread.

— ScottWorld, Expert Airtable Consultant