399 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ryansumo
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi, I am trying to automate a process whereby if a record in one table is not empty, it will automatically create a duplicate record in a different table, filling in some select fields.

To be specific:

I have a table called tasks. It has a URL field called "output" which typically links to a google doc:

ryansumo_1-1711558597382.png

I also have a table called "Resources" which I will usually populate independently, but in the cases where there is a task connected to the resource, I want it to automatically create a new record.

I was able to make it work in a test, however it only worked for the test record.

ryansumo_3-1711558852850.png

How do I make it such that all records that fit the condition "not empty" will trigger the creation of a new record. The automation is already set to "on".

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

It sounds like you want the automation to run for all of your existing records that match the condition?  If so, I'm afraid that's not possible and that the automation will only trigger for records that newly match the condition

As a workaround, you could try:
1. Click the field header of the "Output" field, selecting the entire column
2. Hit CTRL / CMD + C to copy the values
3. Hit Delete to delete everything
4. Hit CTRL / CMD + V to paste the values

This should trigger the automation appropriately

Here's an example where I set the automation to put "a" in the "Notes" field if the "Status" field had "Todo":

Screen Recording 2024-03-28 at 11.25.16 AM.gif

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

It sounds like you want the automation to run for all of your existing records that match the condition?  If so, I'm afraid that's not possible and that the automation will only trigger for records that newly match the condition

As a workaround, you could try:
1. Click the field header of the "Output" field, selecting the entire column
2. Hit CTRL / CMD + C to copy the values
3. Hit Delete to delete everything
4. Hit CTRL / CMD + V to paste the values

This should trigger the automation appropriately

Here's an example where I set the automation to put "a" in the "Notes" field if the "Status" field had "Todo":

Screen Recording 2024-03-28 at 11.25.16 AM.gif

Thank you, that worked! Very frustrating that airtable doesn't warn you about that (as far as I can tell) and also odd that it doesn't give you the option to do this, given the workaround is fairly simple!