Help

Re: Automation runs every time a character is entered - as opposed to when user is done editing

788 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jfoxworth
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have an automation that is set to run when a record is updated. The problem is that as the user types in one of the fields being monitored, the automation is called with every character entered or deleted. I want it to run when the user is finished editing - maybe when they hit "Enter" or when they click off the field for the record in question. Is there any way to do this? Seems unusable as is?

5 Replies 5

This appears to be Airtable's built-in behavior.
If you want the automation to only run when all of the specified fields are updated/contain values, you can use conditional logic in your automation action to only run when certain fields contain specific values or are not empty.

Also, this seems to lead to infinite loops when the action updates the same table that the "when record is updating/updated" automation is watching. Running the action after the record is updated seems safer @airtable

jfoxworth
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I'm confused. I am running the automation with the trigger "When record updated". This is triggering the automation every time a letter is changed. So, if someone wants to enter a new title for something, it is triggered for every letter strike. I want it to only trigger when the user is finished altering that field. That isn't what "When record is updated" is doing?

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Unfortunately, this is one of the major flaws of Airtable. The only reliable automation trigger for you would be “when a record matches a condition”, and have the person check a checkbox when they’re done entering the data which would trigger the automation. You can also choose a single-select field instead of a checkbox. 

Jason_Hill
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

ScottWorld nailed it. After many frustrations you are experiencing, I gave up on it sending emails for new records. It sends as you are typing.  I know always use a checkbox or single select field to send the emails. That way, it sends it only after I know it's complete. Another safety check I employ is to have the send email automation update another field such as a "sent" checkbox or a timestamp "date" field. That way, if anyone unchecks the original trigger by accident, it won't send the email a second time.