Help

Welcome to the Airtable Community! If you're new here, check out our Getting Started area to get the most out of your community experience.

Automation Test incorrectly running, even when set to OFF

Topic Labels: Automations
169 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi all,

I think there’s a bug with the Automation tests.

I’ve recently started using automation to send emails based on statuses. My understanding is that if the automation is set to OFF and I hit Test, it just verifies whether the email would send or not AND gives me a view of what the email content would look like.

However, that didn’t happen today. I created a new automation called “Offer: Coach Match” and it was off. I had one row in my table “COACH MATCHES” that I was testing with and I made a few changes and tested both the trigger and the actions a few times. I wasn’t expecting the emails to fire so was surprised when I went into my Gmail inbox and saw:

1. that I had received 2 emails showing the email had fired (I put myself on Bcc); and
  2. the user I was testing with had sent me an email saying “FYI - received 3 emails with the same info.”. Luckily I had given them a heads-up that I was testing otherwise it would have been a little embarrassing.

I immediately assumed that I’d inadvertently had the Automation on but when I checked it wasn’t. I then turned it on and fired the email (correctly) which was at 16.39. When you look at my automation history, you will see that it shows only 1 successful Run so the fact that 3 emails were sent during “testing” seems completely incorrect.

Please fix. And/or advise how best to handle this in the future.

I think AirTable is a great tool and have recently upgraded to PRO but I do need to feel confident that I can rely on it as I use to scale my business.

Thanks!

1 Reply 1

Yes, all tests actually perform the actual action. It’s as if you’re running the automation.