Help

Automation that creates a numbered sequence when checkbox is ticked maxes out at 100

Topic Labels: Automations
1363 8
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nik_von_Pueckle
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I have an automation that creates a numbered sequence once a checkbox is ticked (e.g. 1, 2, 3) by updating a field using 'Length of records".

The issue is it has maxed out at a 100 and I need it to continue. Does anyone know how I can continue this automation beyond 100?

8 Replies 8

Is that "Length of records" value coming from a "Find records" action?  If so, that's due to "Find records" only being able to find 100 records at a time

Possible workarounds involve using a script to find the records instead, or modifying your base to show the count, depending on what you're trying to do / comfortable with

Nik_von_Pueckle
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thanks @TheTimeSavingCo - how would I go about modifying my base to show the count so it starts capturing numbers above 100? I am not sure how to go about creating a script. 

What conditions are you using for the "Find record" action?  I would create a new table with a linked field, and create a formula that would output based on those conditions and link to the correct record in that new table

The new table would have a "Count" field that would give the length of records.  If you could provide screenshots of your tables and relevant fields, as well as the conditions for your find records action perhaps we could come up with something together?

If you're not comfortable with scripting I would advise against it as you would then need to get help every time you wanted to make a change

---
As an aside, perhaps you could try using a third party solution for this, e.g. Zapier, to do the "Find record" action to see if it returns more than 100 records?  Long shot, but if it works it'd save you a bunch of time

Nik_von_Pueckle
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi Adam,

When a checkbox is ticked one field, I have another field that creates a number i.e. a unique number sequence for (0-100). I just need that number to now go above 100 e.g. 101, 102. Below my current automation set-up.

Nik_von_Pueckle_0-1678927387796.png

Would your solution above solve for that?

Thanks so much for your help!
Nik

Yeap it would.  I see your "Find Records" action is when "Sold is Checked", so to get the solution to work:
1. Create a new table called "Rollup" or something
2. Create a single record in that table
3. Link all your records from your original table to that single record from the previous step
4. Create a "Count" field in the "Rollup" table, and add the condition "Sold is Checked"
5. Use the field from step 4 in your automation

Hi Adam @TheTimeSavingCo ,

I am getting stuck at step 4. I have created a new table and linked it to my original table but not sure what formula to put in the new table - what formula am I using in the "Count" field and how do I incorporate the "Sold is Checked" condition?

Thanks for your help again!

Nik

Ah there's no formula, we would use a "Count" field with a condition like so:

Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 1.52.08 PM.png

Nik_von_Pueckle
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Awesome thanks, that works now Adam @TheTimeSavingCo .

Nik_von_Pueckle_0-1679446095425.png

The only issue I'm having now is step 5. I have created a separate column to capture the new unique ID, but every time new checkbox I tick, it keeps the same number whereas I want to capture 101, 102 and at the moment both records show 102. Any ideas on a way to pull through the count without linking it so it doesn't update in real-time? Thanks!

Nik_von_Pueckle_1-1679446167331.png