Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

Re: Automation to copy page url into table to save settings

84 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RJ_Southam
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I want to preserve the setting from a search on an interface page, this needs to be dynamic, so a view does not work as I don't have access to the setting from within the interface page.

Below is an idea of the search, location, age, gender etc... In this case a Filter connected to a grid inside a interface page shared amongst users. Rather than copy and email the link to them it would be great to name it and save it.

RJ_Southam_0-1726684438167.png

If I copy the page url for this search the parameters are contained in the URL. I want to be able to save that url into a 'Saved Searches' table that we can refer back to a reload said search.

4 Replies 4
Mike_AutomaticN
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hey @RJ_Southam! Unfortunately you will not be able to get the url of the interface via automations without any input on your side. I'd suggest trying out the following.

1. Create 2 new fields fields in the table you are applying the filters: (i) one called "Temp: Saved Search Name"; and (ii) "Temp: Saved Search URL". Show this fields in your interface.
2. Create a Button called "Save Search" - which will eventually trigger an automation.
3. Create a Saved Searches table;
4. Use the primary field Name to name the saved search
5. Create a URL field called "Saved Search URL" or something like it
6. Each time you want to create a new saved search record, maanually enter the values of the Temp fields on your main interface. Have an automation created on the back which will follow this steps:
(i) Trigger: When button Save Search is clicked
(ii) Action: Find record of main interface (certain workarounds will be needed depending on your interface layout)
(iii) Action: Create new record on Saved Searches table -pushing values of Temp Name and Temp URL
(iv) Action: Update record from step (ii) to clear the values of Temp fields.

As mentioned, this might need some additional tweaks depending on your setup.

Hope it helps!

Mike, Consultant @ Automatic Nation

Sho
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Hi @RJ_Southam 

At the moment it is not possible to dynamically generate interface filters, but it would be possible if you could write Javascript for automation.
The URL for the interface contains the filter settings, but this is encoded in BASE64.
If you implement BASE64 decoding and encoding in your script, you will be able to generate this URL.

Example of URL including filter settings for Interface: 

https://airtable.com/app~/pag~?****=b%3A{BASE64 encoded string}

RJ_Southam
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thank you

Thank you, This was my basic idea, was hoping I could somehow automatically capture the url of the page with the base64 code in it. Will set something up like that and just copy and paste the URL...