cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ted_ellis
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi, 

I'm trying to explore using Airtable as my Stocktake system. 

The idea is using an external form (Jotform, Typeform, etc) I assign a location, scan product barcodes and when I'm done, I click submit in a form and then all the records will be created in a table. 

ST1.jpg

Form1.jpg

The problem I hit is that there's no automation to create record per line of text.. Do you know any work around for this? I am open to use external automation app like Zapier or Make

5 Replies 5
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Whenever you use JotForm, you will always want to use Make to send your data from JotForm into Airtable.

Make lets you iterate through arrays by using the iterator tool, or you can use Make’s split function to split a string of text into an array.

There can be a bit of a learning curve with Make, which is why I created this basic navigation video for Make, along with providing the link to Make’s free training courses.

There are also many Make experts hanging out there who can answer other Make questions. That is probably a better place to ask Make questions.

You mentioned Zapier, but I would not recommend Zapier. The main problems that I have with Zapier are best described by discussing the main advantages that Make has over Zapier:

1. Make has none of the limitations that Zapier has. Just as one example out of dozens of examples, Zapier only allows 3 conditional branches, whereas Make allows unlimited conditional branches. Also, Make has a purely visual drag-and-drop environment that makes it much easier to visualize entire automations.

2. Make is SIGNIFICANTLY more powerful than Zapier. Probably a million times more powerful. Lol. For example, Make has an entire library of hundreds of functions & tools built into the platform that let you manipulate your data in ways that Zapier doesn't allow at all, including working with groups of records in Make (which Zapier also doesn’t allow).

3. Make is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than Zapier, even though it is way more powerful than Zapier.

4. Make has much better tech support than Zapier.

However, the one downside to Make is that there can be a bit of a learning curve with Make, which is why I created the basic navigation video that I mentioned above.

p.s. If you have a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with any of this, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consulting — ScottWorld 

If the lines of text never contain commas, you could try:
1. Create a formula field that will convert the line breaks into commas

SUBSTITUTE({Field name}, "\n", ",")

2. Create a new table called "Line items"
3. Create a linked field from the table that receives the form submissions to the "Line items" table
4. Have an automation paste the values from the formula field from step 1 into the linked field

This'll create one record per comma separated value

@TheTimeSavingCo wrote:

If the lines of text never contain commas, you could try:
1. Create a formula field that will convert the line breaks into commas

SUBSTITUTE({Field name}, "\n", ",")

2. Create a new table called "Line items"
3. Create a linked field from the table that receives the form submissions to the "Line items" table
4. Have an automation paste the values from the formula field from step 1 into the linked field

This'll create one record per comma separated value

I'm lost on number 4.. from what I understand, photos below is what it will look like after I submit the form.

Did you mean that I should set a Zapier or Make automation to create a Line Item table record based on the Formula field of Form table?  something like create a record and link record base on the text every before/after a comma?

Screenshot 2023-06-23 063346.jpg
Screenshot 2023-06-23 063206.jpg

> Did you mean that I should set a Zapier or Make automation to create a Line Item table record based on the Formula field of Form table? something like create a record and link record base on the text every before/after a comma?

Nope, use an Airtable automation that'll trigger when a new record gets created, give it an "Update Record" action and make it update itself by pasting the value from the formula field into the linked field.  If you DM me an invite to your base I can set it up for you real quick

ted_ellis

Hi Adam,  

Thank you for the offer. I sent you a DM